Pedals for dodgy knees?

gjm
gjm Posts: 101
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
My knees are fine, provided I use them in the direction intended! Some pedals, I've found, encourage 'wobbly' knees, where the knee moves in or out, and doesn't act in a purely vertical plane. This exacerbates an old knee injury.

Can anyone recommend a pedal which would help me to use a correct action, one where my knees don't flap about? Or is this just a case of concentrating on my pedal action?

Comments

• Avezius
    Avezius Posts: 132
    I can't comment on correct pedalling action & complex cycling / medical stuff but I can share my experiences.

I have dodgy knees - Snapped left ACL, repaired with patella tendon in '95. Repair stretched resulting in further medial damage as well as the more run of the mill (but painful) cartilage damage. The right hasnt been operated on, but it's similar in current performance to the left. Essentially I have (had) to concentrate on walking around corners & getting up from a seated position - certainly no footy!

cycling has made a world of difference (building muscle support without any setbacks). I use shimano MTB SPD double sided pedals & have had no issues with my knees whatsoever. I do still have them set to the least resistance as a precaution but have no issues with that twisting motion to unclip & I haven't unclipped accidentally, even when pulling quite hard.

No experience with other pedals.

Dan
  • gjm
    Thanks Dan.

Mine was as a result of a motorcycle accident - leg trapped between bike and car, twist through 100+ degrees at the knee >ouch!< and fly over front of car (a Volvo - what else?)
    4 months in plaster followed by some slightly over-exuberant physio left me with a leg that felt like it would fold without warning. Much better now, but unless I'm really careful walking up stairs, driving a car, cycling - anything involving bended knee - I get some significant anterior pain. It does need strengthening.

A lot of other problems as a result of the accident too, the most significant being a broken back, but that's a different matter!
  • captain_tiara
    captain_tiara Posts: 106
    I've had ACL & meniscus ops on my right knee & I'm a post grad sports therapist so apparantly i know what I'm talking about...

Pedal choice depends on what kind of cycling you're doing- a "best bike" for pure road use or commuting?

Stiff soled shoes are best, & look/3 point attachment style shoes are stiffer than SPD/mountain bike ones. I use Time RSX pedals myself. Economic & I love mine. Plenty of adjustment.

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/featur ... dals.shtml

The most important thing is getting the setup right. Getting the cleat under the right part of your foot, on the ball of your foot, and the toe in/out angle is critical. Not everyone is the same so you're best off riding around & making minor tweaks until you're happy. If your saddle height/ layback are out a bit it will affect your knees.

You mention "wobbly knees", which I don't think are pedal specific. You have to pay attention to the plane of movement, pure and simple. What feels weird will one day feel normal. Like learning any new motor skill. I ride with mates & some of them have the most amazing "stick one knee out in a comedy side screw" actions, but they simply don't notice. When you ride behind them & pay attention it stands out.

So, i suppose my penny's worth is concentrate on your pedal action. Oh, and spongy insoles with a built up instep help me as well. Helps prevent pronation which overloads the medial aspect of the knee. My all time favourite ones are green but have no idea who made them!

I presume you're still seeing a doc, cos if your knees keep giving way/catching further diagnosis might be needed.

And don't do too much too soon. It's one of the 3 things people do before they end up coming to see me. The other 2 are accidents like you had & general chronic repetitive overuse. Good luck.
  • GordonH
    GordonH Posts: 58
    I know what you mean when you mention the feeling that your leg will fold without warning. I had exactly that feeling after my accident which was caused by a car pulling out in font of me from a side road. The hospital diagnosed stretched knee ligaments (in addition to the 4 broken ribs and a punctured lung) and said that plenty of walking would help. I found that I felt pain when bending my knees into a crouch position but over time this improved. It took around 2 years before I was able to squat down without discomfort. I did not cycle for about 8 months after the accident, but have had no trouble using either clipless or the old fashioned toe clips. Hopefully you will find that over time your knees will return to full health, so don't worry too much about knee pain at the moment. :)
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I'd see a physio that understands cycling (or a really good bike fitter). You'll need to worry about the shoes and float rather than specific pedals IMO (and it could be a fixed cleat is best for you). If it's really bad though it might be you need a knee brace...
  • gjm
    First - many thanks for the support. It is very much appreciated.

I was seeing a consultant at the local hospital, but he's signed me off saying there's nothing further to do. I suspect a private consultation may elicit a different opinion, but that's not easily financially viable. My GP - a keen, competitive and successful triathlete - has been extremely helpful.

Knee brace... Yuck. I had to wear one for near 6 months and I never want to do that again. However, if it is the answer, then fair enough. (Besides, it'd leave horrible tan lines. :wink: )

I'm going to go down the sensible route, which is probably what everyone should do anyway! Get shoes, cleats and pedals sorted properly - the pronation issue strikes a chord as I recall having experiences where my foot has felt like it is rolling off the outside of the pedal. Concentrate on technique and pedalling action. My plan is to cycle to work, a distance of about 7.5 miles each way, possibly starting with a couple of days a week and building it up. I've sorted a frame-mounted carrier so won't be cycling while wearing a backpack.

Other issues which I've been dealing with are comfort on the bike (arse up, head down isn't such a good idea), I've put on about 1.5 stone in weight, and I appear to have developed asthma too! It may be a long and uphill into the wind road to fitness, but I'll get there! [/u]
  • gjm
    First - many thanks for the support. It is very much appreciated.

I was seeing a consultant at the local hospital, but he's signed me off saying there's nothing further to do. I suspect a private consultation may elicit a different opinion, but that's not easily financially viable. My GP - a keen, competitive and successful triathlete - has been extremely helpful.

Knee brace... Yuck. I had to wear one for near 6 months and I never want to do that again. However, if it is the answer, then fair enough. (Besides, it'd leave horrible tan lines. :wink: )

I'm going to go down the sensible route, which is probably what everyone should do anyway! Get shoes, cleats and pedals sorted properly - the pronation issue strikes a chord as I recall having experiences where my foot has felt like it is rolling off the outside of the pedal. Concentrate on technique and pedalling action. My plan is to cycle to work, a distance of about 7.5 miles each way, possibly starting with a couple of days a week and building it up. I've sorted a frame-mounted carrier so won't be cycling while wearing a backpack.

Other issues which I've been dealing with are comfort on the bike (arse up, head down isn't such a good idea), I've put on about 1.5 stone in weight, and I appear to have developed asthma too! It may be a long and uphill into the wind road to fitness, but I'll get there! [/u]