how much is too much?

Mccrear
Mccrear Posts: 256
edited June 2011 in Commuting general
I have just bought a charge tap 2010 from Wiggle, and as of next week will be cycling 9 miles e.w to work, is this too much for a newbie? Also what essentials (equipment and tips) would you recommend? Im really keen to be cycling 5 days a week, is this unrealistic?

thanks

Comments

• wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Mccrear wrote:
    I have just bought a charge tap 2010 from Wiggle, and as of next week will be cycling 9 miles e.w to work, is this too much for a newbie? Also what essentials (equipment and tips) would you recommend? Im really keen to be cycling 5 days a week, is this unrealistic?

thanks

Nine each way is fine but might take some building up to. Unless you're used to cycling you can expect it to be tough initially.

Top tip would be to read the "information for beginners" sticky topic on this board!!!

Cheers,
    W.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    2x9 miles is a good distance to ride.

Rear luggage rack. One rear pannier (they come it sets of 2).
    Lock
    Lights
    Helmet
    Gloves/mitts
    Pump
    Spare inner
    P*ncture repair kit
    15mm axle nut spanner, pref ring style rather than crescent. I use a cast bronze dumbell bike tool.
    2mm allen key or nail for rotating nexus cassette arm. Other Allen keys as required.
    Smallest needle-nosed pliers for removing gear cable from cassette arm.
    Small penknife (removing flint and glass from tyre)
    You can use bike/ Leatherman multitools.
    See
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGEXjpXtw4g

Tool bag or wrap.
    Some ductape wrapped around the pump.
    A couple of small zip ties.
    A graze first-aid kit (antiseptic wipes and gauze pad)
    Small piece of rag.
    Plastic bag for saddle.
    Spare rear blinky light in winter.

Toe clips and straps for extra efficiency (when you can ride well)
    Streetmap to pick best route.
    Pen and paper for noting down insurance details/number plates.
    Tel Number of taxi service (Ive never needed this)
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    MichaelW wrote:

Lock
    Lights
    Helmet
    Gloves/mitts
    Pump
    Spare inner
    P*ncture repair kit
    15mm axle nut spanner, pref ring style rather than crescent. I use a cast bronze dumbell bike tool.
    2mm allen key or nail for rotating nexus cassette arm. Other Allen keys as required.

See

Tool bag or wrap.
    Small piece of rag.
    Plastic bag for saddle.

Crikey :shock: You should have just bought car.

OP, just get riding, nine miles will feel pretty straight forward in no time.

The only thing you will definitely need for now are quality lights and some kind of reflective clothing (personally I think it's wise to wear a helmet too, but others will disagree). I've been commuting solidly for about a year now and have suffered a few punctures, but I've always managed to walk the bike to work/home/the nearest station without too much hassle (quality tyres are actually worth every penny).

Good luck and welcome to cycle commuting; you'll love it.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    MichaelW wrote:

Lock
    Lights
    Helmet
    Gloves/mitts
    Pump
    Spare inner
    P*ncture repair kit
    See

Tool bag or wrap.
    Small piece of rag.
    Plastic bag for saddle.

Bloody hell, are you trying to scare him off! ;)

It's summer so for a start shorts and a T-shirt will do, maybe some cheap mits if you have soft girls hands. You may feel cycling shorts are essential as well, but see how you go.

Apart from that you just need a puncture repair kit (or a spare inner tube, or both) and the tools you'll need to remove a wheel.

But the distance is good, just leave plenty of time the first few days.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    The Nexus hub needs some specific tools to do a puncture repair. Its not difficult and its shown in the video but without them it gets a bit messy.
    The other bits of stuff are all very light and easy to stash in the bottom of your bag. It should all fit in a pencil case.

BTW Aldi have just have a sale of bike stuff and they usually keep selling the leftover stock for a few weeks. Its mostly good stuff and very good value.

The gloves/mitts are not just for comfort. If you have a spill the most common injury is grazed skin. Normally this is a minor thing but if you skin your hands they heal very slowly, its painful and you cant use them properly for weeks. Mitts have saved me on enough occasions that I always wear them.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    MichaelW wrote:
    The Nexus hub needs some specific tools to do a puncture repair. Its not difficult and its shown in the video but without them it gets a bit messy.
    The other bits of stuff are all very light and easy to stash in the bottom of your bag. It should all fit in a pencil case.

In that case I stand corrected :oops: I looked at the bike quickly and thought "Oh, a single speed, that's even easier, nice and reliable".
  • SmellTheGlove
    SmellTheGlove Posts: 697
    Whether it's too much or not I can't say - terrain, ascent/descent etc all play into this.
    What I can say is you've got the right tool for the job, so it's sure to be a hoot. Go for it.

+1 for mitts. And might I add Schwalbe Marathons if you happen to get a rash of visits from the tube butcher.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • Mccrear
    thanks guys, lots of great advice - especially the video michael.

going to go a trial run on sat/sun and see how i get on. Got most of the gear, but think i may need some of the tools you mention michael. The route is 90% road and quite hilly on way there, but mostly downhill on way back.

Anyone used the charge tap before? Ive heard good things, but more charge in general rathern the tap specifically.
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    My commuter has a hub gear / brake and it is a right royal pain in the butt to repair punctures (especially as the brake is bolted to the frame as well). I'd recommend buying some Slime filled inner tubes (or similar). More expensive but they do prevent most punctures.
    Steve C
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    my commute is about 10 moles door to door, and i started off doing twice a week (monday and thursday to space it out) then moved to 3 days a week then 4 and have been doing 5 days a week for about 9 months (managed everyday even in the snow this winter! was character building to say the least!)

nowadays i'm doing about a 30-35 mile roundtrip because 20 miles a day just isnt far enough anymore :) so take it easy to begin with and i bet in no time you'll be finding longer routes home!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • andrewlwood
    andrewlwood Posts: 224
    As above, 9 miles each way will be a breeze before very long; then you'll start timing yourself and trying to get PBs.

The toughest thing, no pun intended, will be getting your 'contact points' hard enough - if you cycle in one day, and home the next, for a week or two, your backside will be used to the saddle and you won't even notice it.
  • Mccrear
    yeah ive been doing it 3/4 times a week for 3weeks now and im finding it not too bad, the biggest problem has been the wind up here and im finding myself very tired for other sports (football/golf) but i think i wasnt eating enough. Ive started setting times for myself (today i did it in 38 mins, 12 quicker than my 1st attempt) and im already thinking about changing/extending my route!
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Lock
    Lights
    Helmet
    Gloves/mitts
    Pump
    Spare inner
    P*ncture repair kit

See

Tool bag or wrap.
    Small piece of rag.
    Plastic bag for saddle.

:shock:

All this just to go 9 miles to work and back??

As an alternative, for my humble 15-mile commute I use/carry:

Helmet
    Gloves/mitts

Small backpack with:
    Inner tube, Tyre levers, Pump, Spare Chain links & Chain Tool
    Lunch :)

Lock (stays at work)
    Lights (winter only)

Keep your bike well maintained and you shouldn't need anything more than that.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    shm_uk wrote:
    Lunch :)

Lunch? What's wrong with McDonalds? Good healthy fayre.