Change the suspension or change the bike?

Sparks1883
Sparks1883 Posts: 9
edited May 2011 in MTB general
Hi all,

Just joined the forum and wading in for some advice.

I ride a 1999 Haro Extreme EX0, bought it new and havent been on it much over the years but Im finding more time to ride recently and getting more serious about my riding.

Question is that Im still using the orginal forks RST 22's (I think!) and have been fairly reliably informed that they need changing.

Seeing as the bike's gettnig on a bit, I'm considering ditching it and getting a new one rather than splashing out - any thoughts? Realise its a fairly subjective question but would appreciate some advice.

The rear suspension's also orginal, don't know expected lifespan on those kind of parts - worth changing too?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I would keep the Haro and get a new bike. I have a 96 Proflex that I can't bear to part with but it is a dinosaur compared to modern bikes, they are just mind-bogglingly good and make you happy and terrified at the same time and leave you hungry for more.

Welcome to the forum BTW
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You will struggle to find decent forks with 2.5" travel. Ditto the rear.
    I'd have a look on www.retrobike.co.uk and see whyat parts are for sale, but you could probably get a relatively cheap new bike for a similar cost to the upgrade, and overall it will probably be better.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Dont get rid of the forks or the bike.. enjoy it.
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    .blitz wrote:
    I would keep the Haro and get a new bike. I have a 96 Proflex that I can't bear to part with but it is a dinosaur compared to modern bikes, they are just mind-bogglingly good and make you happy and terrified at the same time and leave you hungry for more.

Welcome to the forum BTW

this
  • Sparks1883
    Sparks1883 Posts: 9
    Thanks folks!

TickTockTick, I don't want to change either, I love the bike but it is a bit disconcerting with the knocking in the forks at the moment!

I'll have a look around and see whats out there...[/quote]
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    Fix up the Haro and keep it as it is. Modern parts will only de-value it and you'll be gutted if you sell it.

Then buy a shiny new bike with all the modern trimmings and finally see how far biking has come in over 10 years!

Will