World Naked Bike Ride Bristol 2011

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
I did Bristol last year and it was bloody hilarious (especially scalping a couple of shaved legged roadies whilst butt naked as a side-dish :D:D .

We're on again this year, tentative date Saturday 18th June.

WNBR.jpg

Anyone else riding in whatever city?
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Urm.....I don't have enough time to lose the pudge! And I am away for that weekend (Thankfully!)
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I'm far too self-conscious to even think about cycling naked. Plus I'd be paranoid about getting an inadvertent stiffy.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    I'm doing Cardiff, pudge and all.

'Won't somebody think of the children!'
  • SimonAH
    Good man, I may do Cardiff too - what's the date? Last year it was a week ahead of Bristol.

• gtvlusso
    Surely their are legal issues here......?!
  • SimonAH
    Actually no. It is done with Police permission.

Nudity is not a crime - only if it is being used with the intent to offend. It's kind of hard to be genuinely offended by a horde of bodypainted cyclists.

• gtvlusso
    Bodypaint......

Urm.....

Not sure where to go with this......what do you do with your thingy.....?!
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    As someone in the past has so eloquently said (can't remember who or if it was even on this forum):
    "It's just an excuse to ride round with your twanger out".
    His words, not mine. :lol:
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • SimonAH
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Bodypaint......

Urm.....

Bungee it to your top tube of course!

No, seriously. Once you're on a bicycle there's not a lot on view. And when you're off the bicycle you can position the saddle strategically. OK, out of the saddle sprinting might be ungainly :D

Bodypaint is not compulsory, nor is full nudity - "bare as you dare" is kind of the motto.

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Some things can not be unseen and i'm afraid the permanent mental images of thousands of floppy saggy baggy bodies is just not worth it on the off chance so one 'fit' might be there.

Pass the mind bleach please :?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    edited May 2011
    I would, but I just bought a white saddle :shock:
  • gtvlusso
    SimonAH wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Bodypaint......

Urm.....

Bungee it to your top tube of course!

No, seriously. Once you're on a bicycle there's not a lot on view. And when you're off the bicycle you can position the saddle strategically. OK, out of the saddle sprinting might be ungainly :D

Bodypaint is not compulsory, nor is full nudity - "bare as you dare" is kind of the motto.

Concerns me that I only have racing saddles, I.e. not much to sit on and what there is may dissappear into the pit of oblivion.....Also wondering if "it" will get trapped in the spokes - I am so full of cr4p!!
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    Squishy and sticking out body parts do not mix well with cogs, chains and spokes...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    ndru wrote:
    Squishy and sticking out body parts do not mix well with cogs, chains and spokes...

If mine was big enough to get caught in any of those whilst riding I'd get naked in public all the time.
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    ndru wrote:

If mine was big enough to get caught in any of those whilst riding I'd get naked in public all the time.

LOL

You'd probably make some movies too :) Some could even have some bikes in them.
  • SimonAH
    :o
    ndru wrote:

I'm off to re-fit the chainguard, can't be too careful! :D

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    SimonAH wrote:
    No, seriously. Once you're on a bicycle there's not a lot on view. And when you're off the bicycle you can position the saddle strategically.

Nice try, but I'm not buying it.
    OK, out of the saddle sprinting might be ungainly :D

Too much! :o:wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gareth1234
    gareth1234 Posts: 107
    SimonAH wrote:
    Good man, I may do Cardiff too - what's the date? Last year it was a week ahead of Bristol.

saturday 11th june 3pm, park place by the museum
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I would, but I just bought a white saddle :shock:

There's an image I really didn't need :shock:
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    T'was a great afternoon ride around bristol in glorious sunshine, and most people were young, gorgeous and naked (myself and SimonAH excepted).

You going to bodypaint up as different cuts of meat again and race people up park street again Simon?
    us0.png
  • I'd join you but I have got something on on that day.....

..... clothes
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    This is so close to home that I shouldn't really miss it. I think there might be objections if I turn up with my (careful how I word this) helmetcam running.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    I think you should do it if you can and you feel comfortable with the concept; it is a protest highlighting cyclists' vulnerability in traffic and society's dependence on oil culture, a view I think most cyclists would agree with. Plus it looks like fun. How often do you get a chance to be naked in public and get away with it!

If you are not comfortable with bodies, and obviously some of you do have issues here, then you may need to examine what the issues are and decide if they are something that needs dealing with. Looks to me like some folks have an unhealthy attitude to body image and an obsession with thier sexual organs. Just saying.

I am not going to pretend that I am an attractive sight without clothes (or with them for that matter), but I am certainly not going to be ashamed of what is my natural state, even if it is not much to be proud of. Do you realise that, underneath those clothesyou are stark naked!!!!!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I think you should do it if you can and you feel comfortable with the concept; it is a protest highlighting cyclists' vulnerability in traffic and society's dependence on oil culture, a view I think most cyclists would agree with. Plus it looks like fun. How often do you get a chance to be naked in public and get away with it!

If you are not comfortable with bodies, and obviously some of you do have issues here, then you may need to examine what the issues are and decide if they are something that needs dealing with. Looks to me like some folks have an unhealthy attitude to body image and an obsession with thier sexual organs. Just saying.

I am not going to pretend that I am an attractive sight without clothes (or with them for that matter), but I am certainly not going to be ashamed of what is my natural state, even if it is not much to be proud of. Do you realise that, underneath those clothesyou are stark naked!!!!!

Of course I do, but there are clothes in the way.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    So how does it work with filtering in traffic? you know when you stop by a car you tend to have your parts at the same height as the drivers window more or less, what if said driver is an old lady or the car has small children? not very nice really.

another thing, okay so for blokes there's the where does it go issue but surely then for women there's the where is that saddle going?

oh dear lordy lord, all those that attend these event should have to register their saddles list so no poor soul in the future uses or buys one.

it's wrong I tell you just wrong... what happens if the old fella starts thinking for himself, which has been know ...?

too many unanswered questions I say.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • SimonAH
    When riding en masse there is no filtering being done. Picture yourself on a saddle and note where your John T is nestling and work out from which angles it is on display - pretty much none apart from in front looking back.........

Ladies? Well, I'm not sure there is much of a mechanical difference in the interaction of the saddle when there is merely a layer of lycra between the two?

Therre is absolutely nothing sexual about it BTW. No matter how active it may normally be you needn't worry about the flagpole rising. We're just enormously british about this whole thing - mixed nude bathing is absolutely normal across a lot of Europe.

It's about a good humoured statement - that is unusual enough to make people double-take and hopefully pick up the message.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    SimonAH wrote:
    mixed nude bathing is absolutely normal across a lot of Europe.

And it's entirely populated by either very post menopausal women or men who would struggle to get anything up, let alone a flagpole.

Course it's sexual, otherwise it wouldn't be funny!
  • SimonAH
    Good.god.man!
    Go.spend a day at the baths in Bad Homburg and say that again! First time I went aged 14 it required two laps of the cold water pool I freely admit. But only the flabby? Oh no. Bristol ride a preserve for the uglies? Uh uh. Hardons seen? Zero. Honestly there is no sexual aspect _ just enormously liberating. And no by the way, I have no other nudist tendencies :D

• NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    It's usually the people who shouldn't go naked that do :shock: :shock:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • SimonAH
    This is true, but Google images from last year's Bristol ride and I believe you'll see a fair bit of eye candy as well. If you come across an impossibly good looking hunk on a Trek District then that would be me :D