Chain jumping around

nickoedwards
nickoedwards Posts: 19
edited May 2011 in MTB beginners
I've got a hard tail and on recent downhill trips the chain is slapping around. It's not jumping gears but it is starting to damage the frame and is noisey. Is there anything that can be fitted to add tension to the chain to stop this happening?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    fit a chainstay protector.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    +1 on chainstay protector.

Some chainstay mount tensioners can work, but there's a lot of cheap nasty ones, so i'd just stick with a protector - neoprene rather than stickers.

also ensure you're in your big chainring when going downhill. I always see people claterring down hills in their middle ring and that's not putting enough tension in the rear derailleaur, resulting in a good bit of chain slap!!
  • hard-rider
    hard-rider Posts: 460
    FunBus wrote:
    also ensure you're in your big chainring when going downhill. I always see people clattering down hills in their middle ring and that's not putting enough tension in the rear derailleaur, resulting in a good bit of chain slap!!
    I'll try that tip as I find my chain tends to slap around when going over rough ground. I have a chainstay protector, it's more the clanking noise that I would like to reduce as it sounds like my bike is falling apart.
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Chain guide perhaps. If you're not enamoured with the big-ring, you can get a blackspire stinger and swap your big ring for a bash.