Model B's or Racing 5 Evolutions - decision to make

Sammyw23
Sammyw23 Posts: 627
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
With the campag model B's Due in today I need to decide whether to get these or the fulcrum racing 5 evo's that merlin are clearing out for £148.

100g diff in weight, £20 price diff both in favour of model bs but I can't help but think the fulcrums build quality may be better?

Any thoughts on the best buy welcomed. Cheers
Cervelo P3
Bianchi Infinito
Cannondale CAAD10

Comments

• racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I'd go Fulcrum. I've put over 20k miles into 2 sets of them and I'm only now having to bin a set (more because of oxidisation making them unrepairable after a salty winter than anything else).

The 5's aren't the stiffest in the world but they should last a long time.
  • Sammyw23
    Any model b lovers want to add their opinion...?
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • Lillywhite
    Lillywhite Posts: 742
    +1 for the Fulcrums. :wink:
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    My model b's are great and I'm no lightweight
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • baldspot
    baldspot Posts: 38
    just received some Model B's this week and initial impressions are very positive;
    they are a good deal lighter than the wheelset which came on my Giant Defy 3 (no surprise!), run true, and are finished to a very good standard.

I looking forward forward to giving them a proper run out on the weekend but, so far, I think they are an excellent wheelset for £130.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Novatec hubs, IRD/Niobium rims, the PX model B's are a bargain nothing under £250 comes close IMO.
  • pmannion9
    pmannion9 Posts: 285
    Got my Model B's for £99
    Best money ever spent.
    Planet-x replaced rear wheel after spoke issue...
    Think they are great but never ridden very expensive wheels/ so called top notch wheels...
  • dbg
    dbg Posts: 846
    Had a set of Fulcrum evo 5's - the freehub kept playing up and tyres were all but impossible to fit or remove - never again and I'm certainly not alone in that!
  • deadlegs
    deadlegs Posts: 56
    +1 for model Bs. Got some last month after reccs on here. Made a big difference over my 2kg+ Mavic cpx22s.

Flying up hills now. Not noticed flex (I'm 75kg) freewheel quite noisy. Hubs run really smooth. Well worth £130 & I'm a tight arse :shock:
    Summer: Canyon Ultimate CF SL 2019
    Winter/Commuter: Planet X RT-58 6700
    Dead: Specialized Allez Elite 2009
  • pjm300
    pjm300 Posts: 58
    im thinking about taking the plunge with some model b's for my allez sport... will there be significant difference over the standard alex rims?
  • baldspot
    baldspot Posts: 38
    If they are anything like the Alex Rims and no brand hubs that came with my Defy, then YES!
  • pjm300
    pjm300 Posts: 58
    might have to invest then :D
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    pjm300 wrote:
    im thinking about taking the plunge with some model b's for my allez sport... will there be significant difference over the standard alex rims?
    I put a pair of B's on my g/f's Trek 1.2 (had similar rims to yours), the effect when paired with lighter tubes and tyres was dramatic, about 1kg wheel weight saved. This is the area where weight saving really has a noticeable effect; much better acceleration and easier climbing. Go for it.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Hadn't realised the Model B's were IRD Niobiums. Nice wheelset.

OP - they're both great wheelsets. Pick whichever looks best on your bike. :D

Strange thing is, I'm serious. Cycling is a spectacular example of descision paralysis, too many options even after you've eliminated bad choices.
  • Gav2000
    Gav2000 Posts: 408
    Model B for me - nicely understated with no loud logos. They're also light and mine have remained straight for 2,500 miles so far.
    Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
    Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
    Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
    You'll hear about him ever'where you go.
  • spokegeezer
    spokegeezer Posts: 86
    Hadn't realised the Model B's were IRD Niobiums. Nice wheelset.

OP - they're both great wheelsets. Pick whichever looks best on your bike. :D

Strange thing is, I'm serious. Cycling is a spectacular example of descision paralysis, too many options even after you've eliminated bad choices.

Model B rims are different shape to my IRD aero rims.
  • floosy
    floosy Posts: 270
    Another vote for the 5`s.

Now seen 2 winters and still running straight and true :)

Dave.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734

Model B rims are different shape to my IRD aero rims.

Kinlin rather than IRD.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Model B. Got mine a year old for £80 with tires and tubes.

Used mine for another winter of commuting, and hen they evwn survived a head on with a car at 20mph, they only went 3mm out of true and has stayed perfect after fixing it.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Sammyw23
    Model B's on their way - cheers all for the comments!
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • Sammyw23
    Ordered yesterday, arrived today and boy do I hope they perform as good as they look!
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    They will, best bit is the wooshing sound the spokes make at around 35mph :lol:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Bought my girlfriend the high polish model b wheels. They look and ride really nice.