Incoming : Tube strike dates (Londoncentric)

kurako
kurako Posts: 1,098
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
The RMT has announced potential tube strike dates. Expect to have a bad day fighting your way past an unusually high number of metal boxes :evil:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13274783

* 2101 BST 16 May - 1159 BST 17 May
* 1200 BST 18 May - 1159 BST 19 May
* 1200 BST - 2100 BST 20 May
* 2101 BST 13 June - 1159 BST 14 June
* 1200 BST 15 June - 1159 BST 16 June
* 1200 BST - 2100 BST 17 June

Comments

• ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    Gives me a warm feeling inside when I don't have to care about the tube any more. Also - not worried about metal boxes - I'm lucky enough to travel CS3 - mostly off road.
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    just have to weary of the chaos that will hit the roads! everyone take a couple of deep breaths before cycling off: its not a race! (to most :P)
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Bob crow make my blood boil. Ok so 2 of his members have been sacked. Possibly unfairly, but they are going to tribuneral. Why not concentrate on supporting your members at the tribuneral and if you then loose and still think it's unfair then take action. Taking action before just makes it look like you think you are going to loose the tribuneral!

Of course this will mean an increase in bikes on the road (if nice and sunny) plus lots more motorcyles and grid locked traffic. Net effect saftey of cyclist is compremised. I better not see an accident or union rep that morning.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    They may as well strike over this item as, even if it is resolved, Brother Crow would only seek to have his members out on strike on the basis of some other trumped up 'dispute'.

BC, and The RMT, would seem to have missed the fact that it's not 1973 any more.

(BTW Sketchley, 3/10 for spelling!)

Bob
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Hurrah! More people out on bikes! :)
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Sketchley wrote:
    Bob crow make my blood boil. Ok so 2 of his members have been sacked. Possibly unfairly, but they are going to tribuneral.

Is this a pun on tribunal = funeral (for them)? Quite like it!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • sketchley
    Thanks Bob, not been marked like that since school. Oh the memories of being diagnosed with dyslexia in 1984 when most teachers thought it was plain lazyness, which it isn't, and refused to accept diagnosis, some getting very offensive and even violent when spotting mistakes I made. If you want I can take extra time on every post to load it in to MS word and check spelling and grammar, would that make you happy? Although I agree it is quite bad and had I read that back I would have spotted a few. But this is an informal forum so it really doesn't matter.
    --
    Chris

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,389
    D'you not get the little red wiggly lines anyway, then?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • sketchley
    rjsterry wrote:

No, not on Windows 7 with i.e. 8.

Good point though. I might look for a plug in that does that to keep the pedants away.
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    Let's try again with IE spell checker install - Bob is thi

Bob crow make my blood boil. OK so 2 of his members have been sacked. Possibly unfairly, but they are going to tribunal. Why not concentrate on supporting your members at the tribunal and if you then loose and still think it's unfair then take action. Taking action before just makes it look like you think you are going to loose the tribunal!

Of course this will mean an increase in bikes on the road (if nice and sunny) plus lots more motorcycles and grid locked traffic. Net effect safety of cyclist is compromised. I better not see an accident or union rep that morning.
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    Let's try again with IE spell checker install -

Bob is this better?

Bob crow makes my blood boil. OK so 2 of his members have been sacked. Possibly unfairly, but they are going to tribunal. Why not concentrate on supporting your members at the tribunal and if you then loose and still think it's unfair then take action. Taking action before just makes it look like you think you are going to loose the tribunal!

Of course this will mean an increase in bikes on the road (if nice and sunny) plus lots more motorcycles and grid locked traffic. Net effect safety of cyclist is compromised. I better not see an accident or union rep that morning.
    --
    Chris

• Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Sketchley wrote:
    snip

Don't mean to offend but I think he's referring to "loose" which should be "lose"

It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine as i spend a lot of time on Bodybuilding/Weightlifting forums, so it comes up a LOT
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    Correcting other poster's spelling mistakes shows a distinct lack of class.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • sketchley
    --
    Chris

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Sketchley wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

No, not on Windows 7 with i.e. 8.

Good point though. I might look for a plug in that does that to keep the pedants away.

its a firefox thingy isnt it?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,389
    Nope, it's a Mac thing - part of the OS I presume, or some sort of common plugin. I get it on virtually all software.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • sketchley
    Firefox appears to do it. Downloading now!
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    Wahoo Firefox spell checking works. Little red underline stuff too.

No grammar check though!
    --
    Chris

• Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Correcting other poster's spelling mistakes shows a distinct lack of class.

I don't usually correct people, but Sketchley did ask "is this better?"
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I think it says a lot that we're spending more time correcting spelling mistakes than giving 2 hoots about the potential strikes.

Long live the brother/sister-hood of the bike!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Blandiblub
    Blandiblub Posts: 134
    I really can't see them going ahead tbh - seem a bit OTT even for the RMT.

The tribunal is still to come so lots can change between now and a week on Monday.
    Specialized Allez Elite 2011 *NEW*
    Specialized Sirrus Elite 2011
  • tobermory
    tobermory Posts: 138
    I think brother Robert does not need much of an excuse to threaten tube disruption still look on the bright side,you know when the strikes are yet nobody knows when the damn signalling is going fail again.
    Never trust anyone who says trust me
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Make the tube driver-less, and then see whether Crow is as good a "negotiator" as he thinks he is to justify a £130k salary.....
  • sketchley
    W1 wrote:
    Make the tube driver-less, and then see whether Crow is as good a "negotiator" as he thinks he is to justify a £130k salary.....

Automatic Train Operation (ATO) is already in use on Jubilee, Central and Victoria line. No drive required except to open and close the doors, this requires a much lower level of training (pun intended).

See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_train_operation

&

http://londonist.com/2011/01/mayor-talk ... trains.php

So how do you fancy 30k a year and 45 days holiday a year, plus paid for taxi to and from work, free travel around London, just for pressing 2 buttons.....

Problem is any attempt to introduce driver less trains will just mean more strikes.
    --
    Chris

• davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    W1 wrote:

plus he gets a council house and massive lump sums into a pension pot.
  • londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    45 days holiday? Wowsers. I get 20, but have to take 3 at Xmas. Serves me right for working for an American company, I suspect. If you get up the duff here you get a long lunchbreak. Tube Drivers presumably get a year on full pay ?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    45 days holiday? Wowsers. I get 20, but have to take 3 at Xmas. Serves me right for working for an American company, I suspect. If you get up the duff here you get a long lunchbreak. Tube Drivers presumably get a year on full pay ?

Something you wanna share with the group?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • sketchley

Slightly inaccurate on my part.

From http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/mar/13/tube-driver

Pay Tube drivers' salaries range from £19,448 to £40,714.

Hours Maximum of eight hours a day. Train operators must take a break of at least half an hour after four hours and 15 minutes.

Work/life balance Train operators get 43 days' holiday per year (including bank holidays).
    --
    Chris

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited May 2011
    Sketchley wrote:
    So how do you fancy 30k a year and 45 days holiday a year, plus paid for taxi to and from work, free travel around London, just for pressing 2 buttons.....

Working in an environment that is murder on my hayfever, muder on my lungs and no natural light. Unsociable hours. Not much human interaction. Abuse and rudeness from commuters.

No thanks.

I think the annual leave is supported on medical grounds given the working environment.

Doesn't paint such a rosey picture when you see the other side of the perspective does it. I hate when people gripe about other peoples jobs. If the company is willing to pay them that and offer that then fine. It's a job and people will take it.

Free transport. It's a perk for working for a transport company. How the hell can you begrudge them that FFS.

I'm not saying the strikes are right or the demands are right. But lets not start bashing people for doing a job without first considering all aspects of the job.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game