Accident Balham near Tooting Bec station

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
Passed it between 6.30 - 7.00pm yesterday night.

Cyclist red jersey being attended to by an ambluance team. Looked pretty bad to be honest.

Hope he was alright, hope it was no one here.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387
    Didn't spot anything when I went through half an hour later.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    I went past at about 6.20pm. No ambulance but lots of people in the road letting cyclists/taxis/buses in the bus lane know that they had to move. As the cyclist was half lying in the bus lane and half in the side road (totterdown street i think).
    Cyclist wasn't moving, looked concious and had a bag under their head for support.
    Looking at the position of him i suspect that a car turned across his path through traffic.
  • Flyingbogey
    Flyingbogey Posts: 352
    I went through there at about 20 past 7, no sign of any accident. Hope thats because it wasn't that serious, they tend to spend longer at the roadside when its a bad one.
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • L80PJE
    L80PJE Posts: 3
    Hi,

I was the cyclist.

I just searched google to see if the incident was reported and found this forum so thought I should reply.

Yes, the lady driver just turned in front of my path. I tried to go round her but I couldnt avoid her. I think I hit her head on towards her rear, i was doing around 18-20mph.

I tried to get up but people told me not to move. A GP was close by and once i said my neck hurt, he very very kindly kept the weight off my neck for the 35mins it took for the ambulance to show. After quite a few x-rays there was no sign of injury to my neck and back but I have a broken hand.

It would have been a very different story had I of not been wearing my helmet. Its cracked in about 4 places, has some shattering in one spot and grazed on the top if it. Its one of the top met helmets - atmos / ionis i think.

The MET police are struggling to find any details of the accident (frustrating) and I do not have any details. They believe the driver was arrested though. When I was lying on the floor I heard someone say "i cannot believe you were not going to stop".

I do a lot of weekend cycling and commuting (2 to 4 times a week from dorking to central london) and know what dangers to look out for and how to avoid them. This was the first time that I litererally could not have avoided the accident unless I was not on the road at all.
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    @L80PJE - glad to hear that you're relatively OK.

There are cameras near Tooting Bec station so it might be worth checking with TFL.

There are some busy side roads at the bottom of Balham High Road that are used to cut the corner/lights at Tooting Bec tube (Streathbourne, Drakefield, Louisville etc) is this where you got hit?

Hope you heal up well and the Met get their act in order. I'd take legal advice too.

With a bit of luck, a witness might spot this thread...
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    L80PJE wrote:
    Hi,

I was the cyclist.

I just searched google to see if the incident was reported and found this forum so thought I should reply.

Yes, the lady driver just turned in front of my path. I tried to go round her but I couldnt avoid her. I think I hit her head on towards her rear, i was doing around 18-20mph.

I tried to get up but people told me not to move. A GP was close by and once i said my neck hurt, he very very kindly kept the weight off my neck for the 35mins it took for the ambulance to show. After quite a few x-rays there was no sign of injury to my neck and back but I have a broken hand.

It would have been a very different story had I of not been wearing my helmet. Its cracked in about 4 places, has some shattering in one spot and grazed on the top if it. Its one of the top met helmets - atmos / ionis i think.

The MET police are struggling to find any details of the accident (frustrating) and I do not have any details. They believe the driver was arrested though. When I was lying on the floor I heard someone say "i cannot believe you were not going to stop".

I do a lot of weekend cycling and commuting (2 to 4 times a week from dorking to central london) and know what dangers to look out for and how to avoid them. This was the first time that I litererally could not have avoided the accident unless I was not on the road at all.

Glad to hear you're OK.

I +1 everything Origamist has said.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Hope you recover quickly.

It would be great if you could let us know what happens in future via this thread.

Ben
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Speedy recovery mate, its awful to hear about events like these because they could happen to any of us really.

Did the driver not stop?
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    +1 for the quick recovery.

On the plus side, you've now found this forum and the home of SCR :lol:
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • rjsterry
    Origamist wrote:
    @L80PJE - glad to hear that you're relatively OK.

There are cameras near Tooting Bec station so it might be worth checking with TFL.

There are some busy side roads at the bottom of Balham High Road that are used to cut the corner/lights at Tooting Bec tube (Streathbourne, Drakefield, Louisville etc) is this where you got hit?

Hope you heal up well and the Met get their act in order. I'd take legal advice too.

With a bit of luck, a witness might spot this thread...

And another +1. Good to hear you're not too badly bashed up and hope you/the Met have some success in sorting it out with the driver.

Chapeau on the commute as well - Dorking to central London is a fair distance to be doing twice a day on top of work.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• L80PJE
    Thanks for all the support.

she wasnt going to stop but i think a witness made her. she then wanted to leave before the police got there.

the criminal justice tranport are dealing with it. apparently they have located the officer who dealt with it. I also have one witnesses details. he was cycling behind me and very kindly hung around. He got my number and text that evening,

I have already started the legal advice route!

dorking 2 picadilly is a fair trek but i was meant to be doing the etap - can't see that happening now.

I think the moral of the story is to wear a helmet!
  • rjsterry
    L80PJE wrote:

she wasnt going to stop but i think a witness made her. she then wanted to leave before the police got there.

the criminal justice tranport are dealing with it. apparently they have located the officer who dealt with it. I also have one witnesses details. he was cycling behind me and very kindly hung around. He got my number and text that evening,

dorking 2 picadilly is a fair trek but i was meant to be doing the etap - can't see that happening now.

Shhhhhh, you'll set Buns (aka WGWarburton) off again. Have a quick search for Helmet threads on here and you'll see what I mean.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    L80PJE wrote:

What a delightful person :?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    +1 for a speedy recovery.

I was left hooked and I think the driver would have tried to drive away if it wasn't for the fact that I was lying in the road in front of her car.
    Hit and run drivers are scum.

When I was a kid I was in the car with my dad and saw a woman hit an elderly man and drive off. I've never seen my old man drive so fast as he gave chase and forced her to return to the scene of the collision.
    Elderly ped had a broken hip but I can't remember the outcome for the driver.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • bdave262000
    bdave262000 Posts: 270
    Glad to hear your up on your feet fella, hope your back in the saddle soon.
    Fat lads take longer to stop.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    GWS....

As for the driver - unforgiveable, and thank the lord for the Helmet!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    GWS....

Simon

No, thank the OP's decision to wear one. The Lord does the big things like tsunamis and earthquakes.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Clare_M
    Clare_M Posts: 68
    Glad you are OK, sounds like it could have been worse. Yes, helmets are essential :)

I almost got taken out going straight across at a roundabout today by someone wanting to turn left on it. Held my lane, but she still decided to come across the front of me. :(
    I was a fatty, then I took up cycling and can now eat cake guilt free!

"Triples are for girls" My Husband, 2010. (Evidently not for this girl though!)
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    L80PJE wrote:
    but i was meant to be doing the etap - can't see that happening now.

Glad you're sort of ok - don't give up on the etape its about 10 weeks away isn't it - turbo sessions to keep up fitness?

I've seen a chap cycling round Richmond Park one handed - think CJCP said the chap looked like he had a broken collar bone. Me I'd stick to the turbo.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I saw a one-legged roadie along London Bridge, so MTFU!

(GWS)
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    GWS....

Simon

No, thank the OP's decision to wear one. The Lord does the big things like tsunamis and earthquakes.

No that's tectonic plate movement.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Sketchley wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    GWS....

Simon

No that's tectonic plate movement.

Yeah, but who nudged the plate...
  • L80PJE
    Good point about turbo training but I do hate them. I'm seeing a private consultant tomorrow so will see what's going to happen to the hand.

Etap is on 9 July - a lot of turboing to compare to the 200+ miles I would have been doing on the road.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    L80PJE wrote:
    Good point about turbo training but I do hate them. I'm seeing a private consultant tomorrow so will see what's going to happen to the hand.

Etap is on 9 July - a lot of turboing to compare to the 200+ miles I would have been doing on the road.
    Quality vs quantity.

The alpine Etape? You need to be able to climb for 90 mins then descend to the foot of the next mountain and repeat. Turbo sessions will do you quite well. (The course is similar to the marmotte but without the first mountain)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • saladdays
    saladdays Posts: 92
    Firstly, get well soon.

Secondly, some drivers are scum.

Thirdly, where did the accident happen? Directon of travel of you and the car? The reason is that I commute in London and used to live in Balham.
  • frankieh
    frankieh Posts: 85
    Not actually sure how or even if it works but this place is supposed to be good.
    http://www.physioclinic.net/index.html

Hope you get better and do the Etape!
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Glad your relatively OK and wish you a speedy recovery, as another rider who uses CS7 I'm all too aware of the dangers along there and have VERY nearly been taken out a few times myself!!
    JonGinge wrote:
    L80PJE wrote:

Quality vs quantity.

The alpine Etape? You need to be able to climb for 90 mins then descend to the foot of the next mountain and repeat. Turbo sessions will do you quite well. (The course is similar to the marmotte but without the first mountain)

As for this advice I'd take it as gospel, this man can climb so if he says it works IT WILL :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    +1 also glad to hear you are okay.

I too passed shortly after it must have happened. a nice gent was in the road directing traffic around the scene including the bus I was behind.

I couldnt see until i had passed but I saw you lying there in your red top and gave a silent prayer.

I didn't stop as there were 5 or 6 pedestrians already assisting you including the doc supporting your neck. I didn't think that one more person hanging around would be any help especially as i hadn't witnessed the incident.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
    FCN = 4
  • cyclingpast
    cyclingpast Posts: 111
    Glad to hear you're ok, I had a bad one in November which put me in intensive care; my advice is to get back on the bike as soon as you can, a colleague of mine went over her handlebars a couple of years ago and hasn't been back on since, she says she probably never will now. If you're not up to going back on the road too soon, get on a turbo or, as I did, on a track!

Good luck with the recovery

SC
    Giant Defy 3
    FCN 5

All wrenching and no riding makes me frickin' angry...
  • SmellTheGlove
    SmellTheGlove Posts: 697
    Speedy recovery L80, hope justice is finally done.
    "Consider the grebe..."