Dissertation..

Benjamin Hall
Benjamin Hall Posts: 608
edited May 2011 in The bottom bracket
Is anyone else struggling with a dissertation at the moment? I certainly am! 2 days to go!

I haven't ridden a bike for nearly 2 weeks and i think my arse becoming one with the chairs in the library!

'Facts or Fiction, representations of the English poor in newspapers and novels (1832 – 1914)'..... history is BORING!!!!

Anybody else?

Comments

• pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    Not me thank God but my son has just submitted his. Something about fiscal regualtion in the US compared to the UK. Personally, I have no clue what that might need to include.

He bacame allergic to sunlight and looked like a haunted man as deadline approached.

But if you're posting for moral support; you have the rest of your life to ride a bike, you only have a few short weeks to get your degree. So knuckle down!
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • Benjamin Hall
    However...I am starting a masters in September, in Cultural and Social history....

Next years dissertation title is going to be something along the lines of.

Nationalism and the Grand Tours: An examination of the role played by The Giro, The Tour and The Vuelta in the creation their respective 'nations'.

or something smug sounding like that...
  • Benjamin Hall
    Crikey, what does your son study? That sounds incredibly painful!

Not worried about moral support, just moaning about not riding. It's amazing how stiff you feel after being off the bike for a bit.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    2 weeks eh? You'd better not do a PhD :cry:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Hehe, been there, done that a couple years ago

History too...

Though my title was more interesting :wink:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    'Facts or Fiction, representations of the English poor in newspapers and novels (1832 – 1914)'..... history is BORING!!!!

I'll give you a hand - mention Charles Dickens. You hadn't thought of that, had you?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Benjamin Hall
    RichN95 wrote:
    I'll give you a hand - mention Charles Dickens. You hadn't thought of that, had you?

I knew i'd forgotten something!
  • Benjamin Hall
    RichN95 wrote:

I knew i'd forgotten something!
  • markyboy2005
    markyboy2005 Posts: 465
    Crikey, what does your son study? That sounds incredibly painful!

Not worried about moral support, just moaning about not riding. It's amazing how stiff you feel after being off the bike for a bit.

It's the blood returning to your knackers, get your saddle checked..... :D
  • shockedsoshocked
    shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
    Just submitted my proposal last week. The effects of Sodium Bicarbonate ingestion on performance during 1 hour competitive cycling on a cycle ergometer. Or something...
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    Just submitted my proposal last week. The effects of Sodium Bicarbonate ingestion on performance during 1 hour competitive cycling on a cycle ergometer. Or something...

A lot of GB rowers have experimented with bicarb loading before ergo tests..

Some with good effect some with very bad!

p.s. Didn't ride this weekend as had to submit a 50 page something yesterday.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    Did my diss last year, in true student style I waited till the last day, smashed it out in the morning and went to the SU bar in the afternoon to chill......got a first!
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I supervise them :wink: ... so I'm at the other side of all this. Good luck.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    after 4 years of checking my daughter's uni work, she's finally got the hang of using commas

final piece to be handed in on Monday, at last

and then the next one starts
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Ollieda wrote:
    Did my diss last year, in true student style I waited till the last day, smashed it out in the morning and went to the SU bar in the afternoon to chill......got a first!

And people say standards have slipped.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    jim453 wrote:
    Ollieda wrote:

And people say standards have slipped.

Nope, i'm just good with coursework but exams are my downfall. I was lucky enough to do it on a relatively untouched area of law that I found really interesting and as such could go into great detail discussing and developing new ideas straight from my head using sources to back me up as opposed to guiding me.

It was then published in a leading law journal.......I suppose you are going to claim their standards are slipping?
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Clearly, without knowing which journal, that would be quite difficult to tell.

But yes, if they're padding out their publication with unplanned essays or treatise knocked out in a few short hours before the pub opens, perhaps they are.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    My daughter is working like a lunatic nailing her final presentation for her degree in fine art.

I don't envy any of you, glad I'm just a thick engineer. I wish you all very best, the country need bright sparks.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • tri-sexual
    tri-sexual Posts: 672
    Ollieda wrote:

impressive!

what subject, what was diss on, where did you study?
    which law journal is your diss published in?
    is it available to read on line?