Bulge in wheel rim

bobbygloss
bobbygloss Posts: 317
edited May 2011 in The workshop
My rear wheel has developed a small bulge (more like a pimple) on the braking surface. It is right by the logo, which makes me think it is some kind of wear indicator. It makes it hard to brake on that wheel.
The rims are Rigida Nova, and beside the logo it says "Safety line", which I expected to mean that a groove would appear when the rim is worn. They have done nearly 6000 miles in all weather on rural roads with no problems so far. Is it just worn out now?

2011-05-03bikerim.jpg

Comments

• Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    Err, looks like you've worn off the safety line, and the 'pimple' looks more like a machine mark/spot weld? from pin&sleeve rims - it's right beside the join.
    Are they concave? Old? Maybe they've had it :cry:
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • bobbygloss
    bobbygloss Posts: 317
    Not sure what the pimple is, it is about 0.5mm high and I don't think it has been formed by the surrounding material wearing away. I had a look inside last night, but there's not much to see as it is under where the double wall bit starts. The other side of the rim and the front wheel are all ok.
    The rim doesn't look very concave, but it has a lot of grooves caused by gritty brake pads.

Must be new wheel time. :(