Mixing/mating pads and rotors

Northwind
Northwind Posts: 14,675
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Just wondering... I've always been told it's bad practice to swap rotors around much, as the pads mate to the rotor as they wear. But I've got 2 bikes now with formula oro k24 brakes, superstar kevlar pads, same size and model of formula rotors, and it'd be really convenient to just swap the wheels around without swapping rotors. Am I worrying about nothing?
Uncompromising extremist

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It just means your pads will need to bed in on the bike you stick them on.
  • Northwind
    How much bedding in though is the question I guess.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    How long is a piece of string? It depends on how much difference there is in disc surface, and calliper angle etc.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    swapping the rotors will make no difference you will still have to bed the brakes in as both setups will be different.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Northwind
    nicklouse wrote:
    swapping the rotors will make no difference you will still have to bed the brakes in as both setups will be different.

Not sure what you mean by this? Swapping the rotors keeps almost every part exactly the same- only the hubs are different effectively but the spacing's the same... Maybe I'm misunderstanding but as far as I can see the brakes don't see any change at all when I swap the rotors. They certainly don't need bedded in after.
    Uncompromising extremist