Go ride a sportive or stay home and watch the Giro?

campagone
campagone Posts: 270
edited May 2011 in Pro race
Don't know if I am asking this in the right place but I've got a bit of a dilema.
The Chain Reaction/CycleOps road sportive in Llandovery Wales is on the 21st of May and I really fancy having a go. However, the Monte Zoncolan stage of the Giro is on the same day and that's one I really would like to watch as it happens. If I go for a ride it will have to be Sky+ again but I'd rather watch live, and I do like to watch the racing especially when they're in the mountains. It's somehow not the same watching a recording.
What do you guys normally do, stay home and watch the racing or record it and go and ride your bike? (This is why I'm asking this in pro race) Or is this a silly question and I should never allow cycling on the telly stop me from riding my bike? :oops:

Comments

• dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Given this is the Pro Racing thread it should maybe why would you ever let riding your bike interrupt racing coverage ;)

Personally Sky + and watching it later in my own time is fine for me. Given the lack of general media coverage avoiding the result is hardly a problem, and generally here there's proper use of 'Spoiler' so the delay is as good as live, but later.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Life's full of lookers, but fewer doers. In 100 years time it doesn't make a single difference as it'll all be not remembered, er, except somewhere on the old internet that "campagone" entered sportive CTC/Cycleops. It wont register that he watched stage 14 of the Giro.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Life's full of lookers, but fewer doers. In 100 years time it doesn't make a single difference as it'll all be not remembered, er, except somewhere on the old internet that "campagone" entered sportive CTC/Cycleops. It wont register that he watched stage 14 of the Giro.

+1

Got to ride the sportive then watch the recording. That way you can do both. If you watched it and it was not the stage we hope for then you would be gutted looking out the window if the weather is nice!
    58585 Posts: 207
    You'll be mildly peeved if there is mist and rain on the Zoncolan and there's no live images from the motos...
    The only sensible thing to do is set the rollers up in front of the TV.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    58585 wrote:
    You'll be mildly peeved if there is mist and rain on the Zoncolan and there's no live images from the motos...

Or the preceding tennis/motor racing/snooker over runs so all you get is the last 2k of racing with the field spread out across the mountain.

Do the sportive.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    The Monte Zoncolan is special but not that special...

The racing on it is very predictable.

You spend a lot of time going "look how slow they're going! It must be steep!" and trying to work out the steepest bit.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    hammerite wrote:
    58585 wrote:

Or the preceding tennis/motor racing/snooker over runs so all you get is the last 2k of racing with the field spread out across the mountain.

Do the sportive.

I always record the programme right after it, but yeah, do the Sportive. That's what I'll be doing on Sunday. Hampshire Hilly 100.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    It's a No Brainer, do the Sportive, record the Giro and like me you can fast forward the numb-nut adverts. Best of both worlds my son :lol::wink:
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    this is the difference between cycling and other sports (mostly) we all do the sport we love to watch. get out and ride. 8)
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Do the sportive- you'll feel fantastic and afterwards you can justifiably sit on the sofa and eat your own body weight in chocolate, pastries, pies and beer whilst watching the Giro.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    What everyone says. Watching pro-cycling is a million times more satisfying after a tough day out.

Strava is not Zen.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Tusher wrote:
    Do the sportive- you'll feel fantastic and afterwards you can justifiably sit on the sofa and eat your own body weight in chocolate, pastries, pies and beer whilst watching the Giro.

That's why loads of sportive riders are fatties..;-)
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    then you would be gutted looking out the window if the weather is nice!

He is in Wales. the weather won't be nice.

Ride the sodding sportive anyway!
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    dougzz wrote:
    Given this is the Pro Racing thread it should maybe why would you ever let riding your bike interrupt racing coverage ;)

Personally Sky + and watching it later in my own time is fine for me. Given the lack of general media coverage avoiding the result is hardly a problem, and generally here there's proper use of 'Spoiler' so the delay is as good as live, but later.

That used to be the case but these days Sky Sports News can catch you out but generally you should be able to avoid it if you do the sportive.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Ride.

As exciting as the Zoncolan might be, and the preceeding climb, the real drama might well come in the last half hour. Do it right and you could be home in time to watch live?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    OP, consider yourself lucky. On the same day I have my parents coming to visit, as it's my birthday (like I care about that at my age). So it'll be a long lunch followed by a couple of hours aimlessly pottering about. I can't even watch the end as my dad wants to watch the Heineken Cup final (I offered to get tickets which would have been good, but he wasn't interested).

So Sky+ it is, but this has it's own problems. Last year their visit clashed with the Strade Bianche stage all was fine until my mate sent me a text saying "What a brilliant stage. Cadel is a legend".
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Gingerflash
    Gingerflash Posts: 239
    I'lll be doing the mountain bike event the next day as well, so I'll have two stages recorded, to be watched after a weekend's camping and getting home at about 9pm.