Escape to Hammersmith!

iPete
iPete Posts: 6,076
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
Started a new 20 mile commute which is changing every day, I've removed the centre of town in favour of the faster but longer Embankment, which is great fun BUT there is a time and speed black hole trying to get from Embankment to Hammersmith!

Are there any portals or worm holes I can use, every route seems to end up stuck in traffic.

Would rather not use the A4 from Earls Court to the mile 10 marker.

Hammersmith-time-hole.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/B ... e-hole.jpg

Comments

• londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    Have you tried Hammersmith to Olympia and then into Hyde Park to HP Corner? You could hang a right down sloane street or similar to get you back onto the Embankment.

It's not without its slow bits, but certainly better than Fulham which is a shocker.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    A4 is fast you know and isn't that bad. When I was commuting from/to Battersea there were some good back roads round Fulham that were pretty good. I'll try and dig out a route.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    H/smith - Olympia - High St Ken - Hyde Park Corner - Constitution Hill - the Mall - Tralagar Sq - Northumberland Ave - Embankment
    <a>road</a>
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    What el_presidente says. HS Ken and the bit around Olympia can be seriously snarled up but then again so can Fulham.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    How about going all the way down to Putney Bridge then Fulham Palace Road up to Hammersmith? I go south that way in the evening. Kensington is a bit of a PITA but after Hammersmith its not too bad.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    If you're going to/from Staines have you considered going via Richmond then Putney Bridge/Embankment?
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • kurako
    If you're going to/from Staines have you considered going via Richmond then Putney Bridge/Embankment?

Crikey. Not a bad idea. If you go through Sunbury, Hampton and on to Kingston you could even go through Richmond Park.

Maybe I need to move further out!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll give them a go in the coming week or two.

I already come down through Putney/Richmond park some days to mix things up if time isn't a problem. Although I actually head back to Ashford & the last 5-6 miles are tricky as I can't use the A316. Think I need to do a slow one and learn the back roads!
  • kurako
    I used to live in Sunbury Cross and commute to Egham (well, Thorpe really) so I know the area although it's a bit hazy. I'd go through Ashford to avoid the 316. This sounds a bit round the houses but it's not so terrible....

From Sunbury Cross go along Vicarage Road towards Feltham, first left at Beechcroft Ave, right into Green Lane, left at the end onto Burgoyne Road then right onto Cadbury Road. Take the left onto Chertsey Road past the big BP complex. After that take the right onto Feltham Hill Road and follow it all the way to Ashford. Wahey!