Play in my headset

cagebomb
cagebomb Posts: 47
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I built up my 456ss with my Stance Flows and a new Superstar UNO headset and there is 'play' in the headset that I can't seem to get rid of.

I believe I've assembled the headset correctly as everything seemed fine when I put it together before I put it on the bike. There's no Feckin instructions with the product but it looks like it's 'sitting' ok on the bike so I must have assembled it correctly :x

But, when pre-loading the bearings using the top cap the only way I can get rid of the play is by tightening it up so much the bars are really stiff to turn. So I tightened it up as much as I could while still being able to turn the bars easily enough and Ive cycled about 45 miles to try and bed the thing in. Ive then re-adjusted the pre-load but ive still got the same problem.

Has anyone fitted one of these headsets to there bike or has anyone got any ideas how to sort this?
:twisted:
cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    headsets are simple. Read park tools.

you did fit the crown race that came with your headset?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cagebomb
    LOL yeah, I've fitted a number of headsets in my time and i've never had this problem.

I'll check the parktools thingy.
  • cagebomb
    I've had another look at this.

Today I dismantled the headset again and I've noticed that the top half of the upper bearing seal/dust cap compresses down onto the lower half of the upper cup. So the spigot ring that prevents play isn't compressing into the chamfered part of the cartridge bearing to prevent play.

So there must be something missing from my set or it's a shit design :roll:
  • nicklouse
    pics then so we can see what may be amiss. maybe you have things in the wrong order?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • cagebomb
    ok i'll try get a pic.

Ive had my dad look at it too, and he reckons it's installed as it should be but there must be something missing.

There's not much to it.

top dust cap
    very thin washer
    spigot ring
    sealed bearing
    bearing cup

bearing cup
    sealed bearing
    crown race
  • nicklouse
    ok lets say you forget the top dust cap can you get rid of the play?
  • cagebomb
    yeah most of it, if I push down hard on the spigot ring and bearing most of the play disappears.

check out these pics see if you can see what i'm talking about.

In pic 3 you can see the lip on the outer edge of the dust cap.
    In pic 4 you can see the washer/bearing is flush with the cup, so there is nothing to push it down

IMG_1608.jpg

IMG_1607.jpg

IMG_1605.jpg

IMG_1604.jpg

IMG_1602.jpg
  • nicklouse
    needs more washers between the centering sleeve and the top cap.