Rockhopper Bash Guard help for a new MTB'er?

DannyUK
DannyUK Posts: 106
edited May 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

I have purchased a 2009 Rockhopper Comp.. It is in great condition and so far I am loving it!!

My arms are killing already!

Question is, I am after a Bash Guard for it, as I am very new to this MTB world.. would appreciate any advice?

After doing some research I think this may fit???

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=3953

Cheers,

Danny
All the gear, loads of fear...

Comments

• Muttly1981
    Muttly1981 Posts: 815
    Although the picture is of a 4 bolt bash the one they have for sale on CRC is a 5 bolt bash, what cranks are you using? because once you find the 4 or 5 bolt model you then need to pick the correct ammount of teeth on the big ring and then finally the bolt distance. If you google your crank make and model most makes will have the details you need for the correct bash
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • DannyUK
    Hi thanks for your reply..

Here is the spec off the advert I got the bike from -

Frame: Specialized M4 manipulated alloy frame. Fully butted. ORE Downtube and forged dropouts with replaceable 98954020 hanger.
    Disc only Fork:RockShox Tora SLite, 100mm, Alloy steerer, 32mm Cr-Mo stanchions, Magnesium lower, Preload and rebound adjust with LO "stiff" spring, Disc only
    Front Derailleur:Shimano Deore, 34.9mm clamp, Bottom swing, Dual pull
    Rear Derailleur:Shimano Deore SLX ShadowShifters:Shimano Deore SL-M530, 9-speed Chainset:Shimano FCM442, Forged alloy arms, Octalink Spline with replaceable rings Chainrings:44/32/22 Tooth Chainrings Bottom Bracket:Shimano BB-ES25, Octalink spline, Cartridge bearings, 68mm x 118mm Cassette:Shimano HG-50, 9-speed, 11-34 Tooth Range Chain:KMC X9 with reusable Missing Link

Any help?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You need to decide whether you want to run two or three chainrings.
    Why do you need a bash?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • blablablacksheep
    blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
    short answer no

unless you going to be trying some drop offs there isnt a need for the bash gaurd.

yes the rockhopper has a low frame clearance but it isnt that bad tbh. save yourself the money.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • DannyUK
    Thanks for your replies..

Well the main reason I am after one is, I have been using the bike for a week now and hit the chain ring a few times on rocks and also an old rail track that is local to me..

Been racing around over all different terrains...

So in short, there is no bash guard that will cover all 3 rings? So best option is to lose one ring if I want to add a bash guard?

Danny
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You can get a bash to cover all three rings, just generally people lose the big ring and replace it, which is simple.
    To fit a bash to fit all 3 rings you would need longer bolts and the guards aren't as common.
    Something like this:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=3953
    This one is 5 bolt (although the pic shows 4) and pretty sure you will need 4 bolt.
    If you trawl through CRC I'm sure you'll find one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools