SRAM X7 rear derailleur indexing troubles

rayman.h
rayman.h Posts: 3
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Just got a new used bike, which the seller said the gears needed adjusting so I thought it would be a quick indexing, as I have done before.

However I tried it (undoing the anchor bolt, adjusting the limits etc. I've done it before)and found the low limit wouldn't screw in enough to bring the derailleur in. Another thing was that is was shifting from 1-5 well but would skip badly from then on.

I took the derailleur off (which looks fine) and found the hanger was bent so I will replace that and I hope that will solve it. The frame looks straight as well.

Another issue was when in the highest (smallest) cog and the smallest chain ring the derailluer was very curled up, so much so that the returning chain was millimetres away from the chain coming from the first derailleur wheel. And this was with the B screw adjusted correctly. Chain is standard length as well. Here's a pic:

5684137125_f95250880c.jpg
IMAG0101 by ray L hodges, on Flickr

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    rayman.h wrote:
    Hi,
    Another issue was when in the highest (smallest) cog and the smallest chain ring the derailluer was very curled up, so much so that the returning chain was millimetres away from the chain coming from the first derailleur wheel. And this was with the B screw adjusted correctly.

not an issue just gears you should not be using,
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rayman.h
    rayman.h Posts: 3
    nicklouse wrote:
    rayman.h wrote:
    Hi,
    Another issue was when in the highest (smallest) cog and the smallest chain ring the derailluer was very curled up, so much so that the returning chain was millimetres away from the chain coming from the first derailleur wheel. And this was with the B screw adjusted correctly.

not an issue just gears you should not be using,

That's what I thought, obviously if I'm in the smallest chain ring then I should be using the larger cogs anyway.
  • Drysuitdiver
    Drysuitdiver Posts: 474
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    that mech does not look like a long cage either.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown