Rear Hydraulic Disc Brake Vibrating and making noise

whitestar1
whitestar1 Posts: 530
edited May 2011 in The workshop
Hi All
I had an accident today - idiot driver reverse left into me while I was turning left. No witnesses, no camera. He just didn't look! He was kind enough but what could I do? Any how the issue is my rear HD disc brake. It's making noise, vibrating. Went to Decathlon and the lads there were brilliant they looked over it. Even dropped the back wheel. At first it appears ok, but after a few miles its doing it again. It's a nasty vibration. Any ideas what I should do? I am riding a current Rockrider 8.0 with Juicy 3 disc brakes.
Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
Cube Agree Pro 2014
Triban 7 2013
RockRider 8.0 2011
http://www.whitestar1.co.uk

Comments

• Hopefully you got his name, address, reg no and insurance details? Get 2 quotes from different bike shops to fix it and then make a claim on his insurance.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • whitestar1
    no witnesses so I just move on. Its the noise/vibration from the rear disc brake thats bothering me and I really need it sorted out ASAP. As noted the Decathlon staff were fab but the fault is still there.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • Did the impact hit your back wheel/rotor/caliper? Maybe the rotor is slightly bent, caliper damaged or maybe the hub?

I would recomend posting in the mtb section, more people with disc brakes there who might have a better idea what the damage might be. Good luck and if you ever have another crash like that get the other persons details, even without witnesses you might get somewhere with their insurance or something.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • whitestar1
    Did the impact hit your back wheel/rotor/caliper? Maybe the rotor is slightly bent, caliper damaged or maybe the hub?

I would recomend posting in the mtb section, more people with disc brakes there who might have a better idea what the damage might be. Good luck and if you ever have another crash like that get the other persons details, even without witnesses you might get somewhere with their insurance or something.

Thanks for your advise mate
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    Put bike in a workstand and stand directly behind it so you can eyeball the rotor as the wheel rotates, is it bent (ie buckled like a rim). Can be bent (cold-set) back with gentle taps with a pedal spanner (or use rotor tool)
    Check the rotor bolts are they all there, tight?
    Remove and re-fit pads, they can dislodge with impact and could be sitting squint.

Although, I guess this is what the Decathlon guys did?
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • MattJWL
    MattJWL Posts: 147
    While standing behind the bike, check also the alignment of the caliper itself. If it's squiffy it'll give the same symptoms.
    Intense Carbine SL
    "Chinarello"
    Taylor Made
    Off to pastures new:
    CELL Team Pro
    Intense Spider FRO
    Giant XTC Composite Clone
    1992 Fisher Al-1
    1990 Raleigh Mirage
    1988 Cloria Italian MTB
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Is it vibrating while riding? Or while braking?

Is the disc rubbing while the brake is not being applied?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • whitestar1
    bails87 wrote:
    Is it vibrating while riding? Or while braking?

Is the disc rubbing while the brake is not being applied?

Yes it is vibrating while braking but not all the time.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011