handlebar position

TickTockTick
TickTockTick Posts: 47
edited May 2011 in MTB general
Hi

I am getting a lot of pain in my hands when riding. I don't believe it's a stem length issue though bar width and bar angles (sweep etc) might be playing a part.

Is it common for people to rotate handlebars fore and aft within the stem to try and find a comfortable position? When I fitted the bar, I was just careful to position the markings in the middle of the stem cut out.. but is it common to rotate the bar in the stem? Is this how I might find a more comfy hand position?

Comments

• CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Bar position is as important as any other contact point so play around to find out what is comfortable. Move the brake and shifters about too to see if they make a difference to the feel of your bike.
  • Frodo1095
    Frodo1095 Posts: 252
    Where is the pain in your hands ?
    Is it in your little fingers or more in your thumbs ?
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Look at seat position in relation to bar height too, itf your leaning too far forwards it may add to the strain on your hands
  • Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    I used to experience arm/shoulder discomfort and in the past have rolled the bars WAY forward to alleviate the problem...I then experimented with stem length, got that dialled, returned bars to a "neutral" position, problem sorted...
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    I've had pain in my left hand for over 6 years following an operation on my shoulder. It just became one of those things I had to deal with but I changed my bars to some 720mm ones and the pain is no more! It's like a flipping mirical and I feel stuipid for not trying it sooner.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Is it common for people to rotate handlebars fore and aft within the stem to try and find a comfortable position?
    Have never done it any other way. I think the alignment marks are useful for getting the bar in the middle of the stem but that's all.

Tighten the clamp bolts finger tight, sit on the bike and rotate the bars until they feel just right. Same for the controls - finger tight and then turn them until they 'fall readily to hand'. Tighten bolts, go ride, take the hex key with you and stop and adjust some more if they're still not right.

Also agree that wider bars are worth a punt. 680mm feels like a chopstick, 710-720-730 feels about right although I have tried 785s and would use them more if I could fit them between the trees.
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    i always turn my bars in my stem to find the sweet spot, i have had bars which werent comfortable at all no matter how i adjusted.
  • Frodo1095 wrote:
    Where is the pain in your hands ?
    Is it in your little fingers or more in your thumbs ?

wrists and thumbs.. should be noted I do have carpal tunnel....