reynolds 953 will it last

mickyfish60
mickyfish60 Posts: 7
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
the struggle to choose a frame is awsome i have a budget but what to choose. when you think about 953 it might just be the holy grail for audax bikes but is it worth it.
the wind in the face and sun on the back thats living

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Reynolds aren't the only company producing stainless frames, don't forget Columbus with their excellent XCr tubing.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    I'm not convinced by stainless steel. It's more brittle than other high level steels like Columbus Life and Spirit and in the context of a whole bike is only a fraction lighter. I wonder if the welds are as strong. Rusting isn't really an issue with a well looked after modern steel alloy so I wonder if it's a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist!
  • giant_man
    It's all in the feel Nick all in the feel ......steel is real and all that.
  • nickwill
    It's all in the feel Nick all in the feel ......steel is real and all that.

I would love to try one, but I can't help thinking that my Columbus Life steel frame will be very hard to beat. Every time I ride it I think how lucky I am!
    Sad or what?
  • giant_man
    The only columbus tubing I have ridden is XCr and that was just incredible, exactly the responsiveness I need from a frame.
  • nickwill
    We agree on the merits of steel anyway giant man!
  • giant_man
    indeed ...
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    I have yet to see any data on the corrosion resistance of 953. However, beware as stainless steel can corrode badly in salt water conditions via pitting, crevices and cracking, especially if the temperature is elevated and the grade of steel low. If your bike is kept clean & painted then that won't be a problem, but likewise for a normal steel frame. I don't know what composition of stainless steel the tubing manufactures use, so it is hard to know what corrosion resistance they have. But will it solve all problems, no. To be honest I'd just get a top end 'normal' steel tubset from Columbus as it really is the dogs if you like steel.
  • nickwill
    eh wrote:
    I have yet to see any data on the corrosion resistance of 953. However, beware as stainless steel can corrode badly in salt water conditions via pitting, crevices and cracking, especially if the temperature is elevated and the grade of steel low. If your bike is kept clean & painted then that won't be a problem, but likewise for a normal steel frame. I don't know what composition of stainless steel the tubing manufactures use, so it is hard to know what corrosion resistance they have. But will it solve all problems, no. To be honest I'd just get a top end 'normal' steel tubset from Columbus as it really is the dogs if you like steel.

Agreed wholeheartedly!
  • benjboy
    benjboy Posts: 258
    I have had a 953 for about 3 years now I bent the front mech hanger (long story) so i left it in to get fixed. I then thought i would get a respray as well ,my down tube and seat stays and chain stays are all bare stainless steel and the rest of the bike is painted.Anyway the owner said i should spray the whole bike now and leave no steel showing :?: I ask why and he said sometimes the stainless steel can discolour :?: .I am still happy with the bike and think 953 is still good to ride :) .
    Keep the chain tight all the way.