Marin Service

tsenior
tsenior Posts: 664
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Any recomendations for someone to service my 2005 quad link suspension preferably in northeast wales or northwest england.

Am sending off the shock for a service so figure may as well get someone to give the pivots etc a once over.

i've had a look at the manual and dont fancy it :shock: too many bits.

not original owner BTW so is not a waranty job.

Comments

• jon87uk
    jon87uk Posts: 158
    Marin dealer search take your pick.
    Current - Cotic BFe - Pike RC - XT - Hope Arch EX
    Previous - 09 Marin Wolfridge 6.7 - 03 Kona Roast
  • Stu 74
    Stu 74 Posts: 463
    Edge Cycleworks in Chester. Authorised Marin dealer and probably the only bike shop I would trust with my beloved bikes!

They will also get the shock serviced for you as well if you ask them.

Stu
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    tsenior wrote:
    not original owner BTW so is not a waranty job.
    I wouldn't worry about that :wink:

What needs doing? There's a good chance it's all fine anyway, and if you say "too many bits", then how are you going to get the shock out?
  • tsenior
    as was a 2nd hand bike with no service history, Iand my first FS I just wanted someone knowlegable to give it a once over....

the shock and rear suspension do seem to be behaving themselves so perhaps i should stop worrying about it :?

the fork definetly needs some attention but i have serviced forks before (albeit less advanced models)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    tsenior wrote:
    Iand my first FS I just wanted someone knowlegable to give it a once over....

so whats wrong with the LBS?

A bike is a bike is a bike?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tsenior
    fair one nick: i'm probably doing them a bit of a diservice.

Just from looking at the destructions seemed to need alot of specific tools/compounds/parts so thought a reccomendation like Stu's may be a better bet.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If there's nothing wrong, and no play I'd leave it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    cooldad wrote:
    If there's nothing wrong, and no play I'd leave it.
    THAT^^
    Marin use a monumentally expensive grease, which is pretty much the same as I used to on some high voltage circuit breakers a few years ago - due to the manufacturer's precise stipulations.
    Now, I'm not sure if it's absolutely necessary on the Marins, but I'd rather that stuff stayed there, rather than have someone strip it down, clean it, and reapply some generic slippy stuff.
    There must be some reason they've specced that stuff, and I'd hazard a guess it's got something to do with why they're confident offering a lifetime warranty on the pivot bearings.
  • tsenior
    cheers guys, i'll leave well alone as long as it seems ok.