Gears not so good after removing rear wheel...

PapaLazar0u
PapaLazar0u Posts: 57
edited May 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

I've just removed my rear wheel for the first time. Gave everything a clean and a lube, put it back on (which was a bit of a struggle) and took it for a spin around the back garden to work the lube in.

When I now move through the gears they are now really clunky when gearing up - but still pretty smooth when gearing down. They do seem to have improved after a few rides up and down the garden but they aren't as smooth as before removing the rear wheel.

Is this part of a chain being moved and bedding back in or have i missed something when putting the rear wheel back on?

Any ideas would be aprreciated.

Cheers

Craig

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like the wheel is not seated correctly.

or you have moved/bent something in the struggle.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • PapaLazar0u
    Thanks for the reply - pretty sure that the wheel is seated correctly but there is a chance i moved something.
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    If the wheels seated properly, then use the adjuster on the derailleur (if it has one).

Where the cable enters the deraillleur you'll see a small, usually black, adjuster. Turn this anti-clockwise about one full turn and try the gears again. If it then shifts smoothly moving up the gears, but not back down, just rotate the adjuster back clockwise half a turn......keep doing this until the shifting is smooth in both directions.

If the gears are badly out, you may need more than one rotation of the adjuster, but dont worry, you can normally wind them out a good 5 or 6 full rotations before it reaches its limit
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Gear changes do tend to be smoother running in one direction than the other. Generally changes will be rougher when you 'pull' cable than letting it out but it does depend on whether the deraillure is top or bottom normal. Ironically, gear changes where the cable is released tend to be noisier but smoother!

In all reality this is not new but probably something you've just noticed.

Removing the rear wheel shouldn't really affect deraillure settings unless you've knocked something or there's a post wash-down lube issue. I last adjusted the 9 speed 105's on the road bike at Easter 2010 and they're still fine now over a year and several rear wheel removals later. That said, from limited (ie 4 weeks and about 100 miles experience 10 speed does seem to be more susceptible to unexpected "detuning" than 9 speed; as was 9 speed to 8 speed when it first came out).

Finally, as you mention that this is the first time you've removed your rear wheel I suspect that it's a new bike so it's more likley to be cable stretch that you've not noticed before.

In any case, you should be able to sort out any roughness with the fine adjustments noted in the earlier post.

NB, Hub gears may be a different proposition but I have no knowledge of more modern hub systems and how you disconnect the cable to remove the wheel. I remember that SA 3 speeds could be a pig to adjust!

Bob
  • PapaLazar0u
    Guys - thanks for the responses.

I took your advice, played with the adjuster and after an hour blasting around the Kitchener the gears are back to perfect!!

Thanks again.

Craig