Please recommend me a campsite in the Trough of Bowland

squeeler
squeeler Posts: 144
edited May 2011 in Tour & expedition
Hi, I'm planning on doing the Northern Loop of the Lancashire Cycleway in a couple of weekends time, please can anyone recommend me a campsite in or around the Hornby / Wray area of the trough of Bowland?
A browse on the internet has revealed several caravan parks in the surrounding area but nothing that looks too appealing.

Comments

• robklancs
    robklancs Posts: 498
    doesnt the route go through arnside/silverdale? that might be worth a look, close to hornby and in a aonb
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    Not a camp site, but how about the Youth Hostel at Ingleton? (About 8 miles from Wray)
  • squeeler
    robklancs wrote:
    doesnt the route go through arnside/silverdale? that might be worth a look, close to hornby and in a aonb

I was hoping to do the whole 130mile loop in two days and split it evenly from my start in Lytham which is why i mentioned Hornby, which is half way round for me.

I think this is probably my best bet but it's a bit before half way, my other option is Slaidburn which is after half way but this would make for a very difficult last 15 miles or so over the Cross O Greet! I think I'd much rather face that first thing in the morning.

Thanks for the relies
  • squeeler
    ColinJ wrote:
    Not a camp site, but how about the Youth Hostel at Ingleton? (About 8 miles from Wray)

Thanks for the info, the location looks spot on but I really want to camp.
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    squeeler wrote:
    ColinJ wrote:

Thanks for the info, the location looks spot on but I really want to camp.
    Fair enough! If you have good weather for your ride, you'll have a great time - it's fantastic cycling country up there. I rode in the Ribble valley at the weekend and will be back the weekend after next.
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    edited May 2011
    You may be able to discreetly wild camp somewhere.in the wooded stream areas in the middle of the Trough(near the Ice Cream Van).. Dunsop Bridge area may offer some... and Most Certainly Edisford Bridge near Clitheroe (on the edge of the Bowland Area) i a locally well known campsite.
    jc
  • robklancs
    Do you have the book about the ride? I have it here, you can lend it if you don't for the duration of your ride.
  • squeeler
    robklancs wrote:
    Do you have the book about the ride? I have it here, you can lend it if you don't for the duration of your ride.

Yes I've got the Cicerone guidebook by Jon Sparks. It's pretty good. There's some info on B&Bs, pubs etc but unfortunately nothing on campsites.

The guide is why I was thinking Hornby or Wray as a stopover point because totting up the listed mileage it seems about halfway for me from home. There looks to be quite a nice camping barn near Slaidburn so it looks like I may do the extra mileage and end up just taking a sleeping bag and mat end up there, as I'm not sure I'm experienced or brave enough for a bit of wild camping just yet!
  • robklancs
    Are you sure you can't manage the cross o greets on the 1st day? It only gets bad for the las 300m or so, then its almost all downhill to the hostel in slaidburn, you turn wouldn't need the weight of the tent, and the pub on the hostel doorstep is quite good too. Just a thought.
  • squeeler
    You are right, it's not that bad, I did the Salter Fell loop on the mountain bike a few years ago and that last bit of climb was like the final nail in my coffin but I'm fitter and on a road bike these days!

I think I'll do this first and save the camping for another trip!