Pride comes before...

Blue Meanie
Blue Meanie Posts: 495
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
A visit from the Puncture Fairy.

I don't carry no stinking tyre lever, cos I'm quite capable of getting tyres on or off with just my man-fingers. But...
I've just built myself some new wheels, with CXP33 instead of my old OpenPro's. And at the weekend I was clever enough to stab myself with a sharp knife, into the fleshy heel part of my hand, cue puncture.

Took me three attempts to remove tyre as these rims are a bit tighter, and on the third attempt blood began to flow onto and all over my new wheels (does blood rust spokes?).
Also, appears I've damaged the steel wire bead on the Halo Twin Rails. (edit - just let it down and reinflated it - all good)

Moral of story? Carry a tyre lever, and maybe a hanky.
FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc

Comments

• deptfordmarmoset
    deptfordmarmoset Posts: 3,118
    True, a tyre lever isn't going to weigh you down too much. I broke a bone in the palm of my hand a while ago and found that wearing mitts helped get a good grip on the tyre while giving the palm some protection. Oh, and they will soak up some of the excess blood :wink:
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    If you're going to carry some levers why not chuck in a pair of latex gloves. No road grime on your hands so no transferring it into your cycling gloves or onto the grips (wish I had packed them before a previous flat).
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    a hooker, is it a hooker?!?

sorry not very pc - carry on....

;-)
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    davmaggs wrote:
    If you're going to carry some levers why not chuck in a pair of latex gloves. No road grime on your hands so no transferring it into your cycling gloves or onto the grips (wish I had packed them before a previous flat).

An old Tesco puncture outfit box can handle 2 pairs of latex gloves just but does need a RM 'laccy band.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Nasty still you could have used your QR skewer as a tyre lever oh and pack some latex dude, never leave home without protection :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    No QR's on my fixed, and thankfully the blood fitted in with the red & white paint scheme.
    The 'culprit' (read: gift from PF) was a thumb tack, that I reckon I picked up in the living room - which I've kept as a talisman, stuck to the cork-board to remind me to not be so complacent.

I've rearranged the bag contents to contain;
    Jethro Tool
    Spare Tube (now patched)
    TYRE LEVER
    Road Morph
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc