Huntingdon/St Ives to Cambridge on the guided bus route

jordan_217
jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
Hi All,

The 76 mile round trip to work is a little too far for a daily cycle so I've thought about driving to Huntingdon or St Ives, parking the car and then riding the rest of way to Cambridge on the path/trail which runs parallel with the guided bus route.

I can exit the route on Milton Road, next to Vindis VW which isn't far from work. Making it pretty much a traffic free 15 (ish) mile run.

Does anybody else do this or use part of this route? I'd really appreciate any feedback and advice.

Thanks in advance
“Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”

Comments

• The path down by the side of the busway is a bit rough and was one of the reasons that the Council refused to accept the project from the contractors.

The people I know who cycle commute along that route just ride up the concrete busway itself and not on the path. Since there are no busses running yet, or for the foreseeable future that should be fine.

Just keep your eyes open for notices telling you when the busses are going to start running!

Nick
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Thanks Nick,

I'll be using my cyclo-X bike so the path should be just fine, I don't fancy riding on the bus way itself, I know that it would end badly.

I'm not going to worry about getting hit by a bus either, my knees will have failed and I'll be celebrating my kids 40th before it gets used by buses.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,389
    I was given a guided tour of the St Ives 'terminus' if that's not too grand a word (my aunt and uncle live in Huntingdon) and IIRC, the guideway has large holes in the centre, with just a continuous surface at either side, so riding along this would need some care.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition