Why aren't lights built integral to frames?

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
I was sitting sipping a cold one in the workshop yesterday idly looking over the bikes and I thought why on earth are bike companies not integrating lights into frames? LED head units are tiny now and it would be so simple to manipulate the tubing ever so slightly to build them into the head tube and the top of the seatstays and hide a battery pack inside the frame (obv. in a position where you can get to it to replace eventually). A small jack socket for recharging could be just about anywhere......

Additional weight - negligible.
Additional cost - I'm guessing sub £100
Additional convenience - lots and lots!

I can't see a downside for a commuter steed, and when I get my next frame I think I'm going to spec it into the build.
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    They are on Boris Bikes!

Only problem might be water damage then needing to replace LED etc.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I don't see what's wrong with the current system?

I find it far more convenient to take a few AA batteries / battery pack out the light and charge them up in my home rather than bring a whole bike in to charge up.

Also I would guess not all commuters spend close to £100 on lights so the price increase may not be justifiable by all.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    It's like pedals - too much of a personal preference thing. Also, wrt rear lights, no one position suits everyone depending on how they carry kit, luggage etc.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Libraio
    Libraio Posts: 181
    www.vanmoof.com Not very fast bikes though.
    The Commuter: 2009 Trek District
    The John Deere: 2011 Van Dessel WTF
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Libraio wrote:

Bloke in the office next to mine has one of those. The top tube looks like a great place to hide a rocket launcher. Maybe in the next Bond movie ....
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    OK, that's a point. Tend to judge things by your own circumstances I guess - I store my bikes in a nice warm garage with power to hand, so for me it would be much more convenient to 'plug in' the bike.

What is wrong with the current system is that I've got around £200 worth of lights on my bike that have to be removed anytime I lock up in any public place and carried around with me which is a PITA. As well as theft they are vulnerable to crash damage and crowd the bars and the seatpost which is aesthetically ugly. They also mean that I have multiple battery packs / batteries to worry about instead of one central pack.

If the lights were in the bike they would never get nicked, never get forgotten and would (or at least could be made to) look extremely cool.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    You need to integrate the front light on the steerable unit, not the frame. This means handlebars, stem or fork. This has been done before BUT and integrated handlebar lamp is incompatable with a bar bag.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... 853/45481/

At the rear, people have integrated LED lamps with saddles and seatposts. A problem is that jackets drape over the lamp and rear luggage may obscure them. The best location for a rear lamp is behind the rear luggage rack.

I like the idea of integrated wiring for a dynamo hub system that goes through the fork blades and through the rear rack tubing.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    SimonAH wrote:
    What is wrong with the current system is that I've got around £200 worth of lights on my bike that have to be removed anytime I lock up in any public place and carried around with me which is a PITA.

Easy to move onto other bikes, though.
  • sketchley
    Libraio wrote:

I saw one them on the road a while ago, thought someone had welded several scaffold bars together to make a bike.
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    --
    Chris

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,389
    SimonAH wrote:
    OK, that's a point. Tend to judge things by your own circumstances I guess - I store my bikes in a nice warm garage with power to hand, so for me it would be much more convenient to 'plug in' the bike.

What is wrong with the current system is that I've got around £200 worth of lights on my bike that have to be removed anytime I lock up in any public place and carried around with me which is a PITA. As well as theft they are vulnerable to crash damage and crowd the bars and the seatpost which is aesthetically ugly. They also mean that I have multiple battery packs / batteries to worry about instead of one central pack.

If the lights were in the bike they would never get nicked, never get forgotten and would (or at least could be made to) look extremely cool.

But your bike would consequently be at least £200 more valuable and would perhaps be more likely to get nicked.

WRT building the lights into the frame, there isn't room in the head tube to fit a light (coz it's full of steerer and headset bearings), and while LEDs are very small, the reflectors you need to go with them to get a decent beam are much the same size as those used with old skool halogen lamps. You'd actually have to weld on a housing to the front of the head tube. Rolf F has already covered the problems with picking a mounting position on the rear to suit all situations, and again, you don't want to go cutting big holes in the stays due to the loss of strength, so you'd be looking at adding a housing to the frame. One of the complaints I've heard about cleverly concealed cabling on aero frames is that when you need to change the cable it can be a real PITA, and I imagine this would apply to concealed wiring as well..All great when it's first fitted, but once it needs repairing or replacing (will someone still make the part to fit your frame?) the convenience becomes a hindrance.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    This should be a really good idea; good, bright, unstealable lights perhaps integrally mounted in handlebars and seat stays. And you could still attach your own addition ones if you don't like the integrals. The success depends on the quality of the lights, which'd have to be quite good.

I think it'd need to be made a legal requirement worldwide for any chance of being taken up by the manufacturers, and, unfortunately, that means it ain't gonna happen, which is a shame as it might discourage ninjas and other scofflaw scum who ride bikes...
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    how would it discourage ninjas? unless they're always on, which would require a dynamo or small lump of radioactive material, neither of which would appeal to the weight weenies.

I have lights permanantly fixed to one of my bikes, hub dynamo and B&M lumotech IQ fly front and a rack & mudguard mounted pair on the back. I've fitted mudguard lights to all of my bikes.

the facility is there already there and used on many bikes and its interchangeable or upgradealble in a way that in tube or in bar ones wouldn't be.

for proper skinny road bikes I'd suggest little lights on the top & leading edge of the hoods the bit where you dont cover either when riding on the tops or the drops
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    I'd prefer the choice of putting lights on my bike when I wanted/needed.
    What's the point in them being there all of the time?
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    There's no reason to. It's only done on motor vehicles because it's a legal requirement.

Bob
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,389
    If you are going to do it then you need to do it with a little style, like Mr Helm.

1449664_orig.jpg

http://www.helmcycles.com/index.html
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    That point could catch on something - ouch!
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Sketchley wrote:
    Libraio wrote:

I saw one them on the road a while ago, thought someone had welded several scaffold bars together to make a bike.

That top tube reminds me of the chap who carries all of his trade gear (spirit level, power tools etc) attached to his bike. Anyone else seen him (spotted him in Lewisham area)? Really quite ingenious!
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    I think you are looking for the solution to your problem in the wrong place.
    1) One hub dynamo could get rid of both multiple battery packs and need for recharging/replacing batteries.
    2) I have a BASTA PILOT lamp that's bolted to my front mudguard and a rear light that's mounted on my rear mudguard - I can't see anyone stealing those since they are dynamo powered and that's not very popular.