Hill Climbs - Entry

josame
josame Posts: 1,141
edited May 2011 in Amateur race
Hello

Quik Q:

I am thinking of training all summer and autumn to enter some hill climbs in Oct/Nov but will i get on a hill climb startlist if I put on the entry form where it asks for previous events 'NIL'?

Am I likely to get entry at Bec Hill and Catford this year??
'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'

Comments

• Slacey
    Slacey Posts: 78
    Surely everyone has to start somewhere? I compete in hill climbs of the motorised variety, and other than a slightly longer briefing first timers are allowed. I'm interested in the answer from someone who knows though as I'm tempted to try the self-powered version too!
    Freelance Journalist
    ex-Team Cycling Plus 2011
    Three Boardmans and a Spesh,
    numerous test rigs
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    There are climbs before Catford and Bec which will enable you to get a time, so I'd encourage you to give them a go (lots in the area, my club Kingston Wheelers has one about a month before in Surrey)

However it's unlikely that you'll not get a ride, but of course as a NIL, you will be at the bottom of the list.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    jibberjim wrote:
    There are climbs before Catford and Bec which will enable you to get a time, so I'd encourage you to give them a go (lots in the area, my club Kingston Wheelers has one about a month before in Surrey)

However it's unlikely that you'll not get a ride, but of course as a NIL, you will be at the bottom of the list.

Thanks JJ
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • jibberjim
    Slacey wrote:
    Surely everyone has to start somewhere? I compete in hill climbs of the motorised variety, and other than a slightly longer briefing first timers are allowed. I'm interested in the answer from someone who knows though as I'm tempted to try the self-powered version too!

Hill Climbs and other TT's have a limit on entrants - and the selection process for the big events is on previous results or times. So if you don't have any previous results or times you'll be at the bottom of the list for entry. Hill climbs generally don't fill up, so it's pretty easy to get a ride. However the Catford and Bec hill climbs are very popular and possibly will fill up, so to avoid that it's well worth entrants entering a hill climb before to ensure that they're not at the bottom of the list.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    jibberjim genuine question - how does this work for hill climbs?

Since all hill climbs vary in length and gradient, can a field be set based on a bunch of people entering times for courses which the organiser may know little or nothing about.

I know the same could be said for different courses for say a 25, but at least the distance is the same.
  • chris281192
    chris281192 Posts: 189
    when stating results, you have to give your position and the winning time. This gives the organisers a fair representation of your ability
    It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Ah yes, so you do! Thanks chris281192
  • jibberjim
    hammerite wrote:
    jibberjim genuine question - how does this work for hill climbs?

Since all hill climbs vary in length and gradient, can a field be set based on a bunch of people entering times for courses which the organiser may know little or nothing about.

I know the same could be said for different courses for say a 25, but at least the distance is the same.

Yeah, It's a bit of a minefield I think! I don't think there are any guidelines on exactly how the selection is decided (just like there's none in regular TT's if you don't have a time for the distance in question - is a result at 25 or 100 more relevant for a 50mile TT for example)
  • chris281192
    chris281192 Posts: 189
    no worries, i advise you come and do the national hill climb in buxton this year :)

Whenever you think you have felt pain, a national event with big crowds will always wring out every last drop of effort!
    It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I quite fancy doing a few of these at the end of the season if I'm in readonable shape / have enough time. Rode Yorks Hill yesterday, made it up without stopping but can't say much more than that, so plenty of work to be done? Would a time for a 10 / 25 be helpful in getting on the start list? I'd like to do a few of those this year as well, I have some tt bars that I haven't had chance to test yet!
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    BigMat wrote:
    I quite fancy doing a few of these at the end of the season if I'm in readonable shape / have enough time. Rode Yorks Hill yesterday, made it up without stopping but can't say much more than that, so plenty of work to be done? Would a time for a 10 / 25 be helpful in getting on the start list? I'd like to do a few of those this year as well, I have some tt bars that I haven't had chance to test yet!

No, a 10 or 25 time will have no bearing.
    As Jim has said, hc's very rarely fill up. Even quality events like the Rake get around 70 entrants. The nationals is always full these days so this is probably the only event where you need to be able to demonstrate the ability to be deserving of being in the final cut.