31.6 seatpost drops, can i fit a 31.8 ?

weeksy59
weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Morning lads,

So, i've had my Commencal Meta 55 for about 8 months and i'm on my 2nd seatpost as the first one dropped over the course of a ride, the 2nd post also does this (to a slightly lesser extent). As i'm doing longer rides this becomes more and more of a minior irritation.

Can i throw a 31.8 in there ? will it help ?

I'm still running the standard (i assume cheapo) seat clamp, will a better one help more ?

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Seatposts are sized in such small increments for a reason. A post that's bigger could potentially be a catastrophic mistake (especially in a brand of bikes previously famous for cracking at the toptube/seattube weld).

A new seatclamp and maybe some friction paste would be a better idea. If you've had 2 seatposts with the same problem, it's unlikely a third would make any difference.
  • albo
    albo Posts: 260
    Can you tighten the clamp further?

Often I see people worried about over tightening, but I would have thought if you gave it another 'twist' round it'll tighten sufficiently, no?
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    albo wrote:
    Can you tighten the clamp further?

Often I see people worried about over tightening, but I would have thought if you gave it another 'twist' round it'll tighten sufficiently, no?

Don't believe so mate, it's that tight i have to use as much pressure on it as i can to fully close it. I'm pushing on the QR with both hands... it's THAT tight.
  • Chilesy
    Chilesy Posts: 152
    I would try a Allen key clamp as you can tighten these up more than most qr levers , also try some carbon fitting paste as this creates friction and should help
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    try some grip paste.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    nicklouse wrote:
    try some grip paste.

... or the cheap alterrnative to sprinkle some dirt/dust on it then tap post so te larger bits of grit drop off - that is what I had to do to stop an aloy post slipping in a Gary Fisher frame but then I was in the middle of owhere. :?