Back Pain

mr_poll
mr_poll Posts: 1,547
edited May 2011 in Road beginners
Help!

Have a new bike and followed all the online guides on how to set it up - over the past month I have made some tweaks, had some knee pain but shifting the saddle back has solved that however once i hit 40K or so I get awful back pain (low down to the right). I get off the bike have five mins to eat and drink and the pain goes, within 20K its back - repeat and I get another 20K of respite. It is driving me nuts.

Can any one help? (Feel free to ask questions about my setup)

I am prepared for the "get a professional bike fit" posts, and to be honest I am willing to look into it - recommendations are greatIy received I live in Lancashire, somewhere localish and not costing the earth would be appreciated.

For what its worth I think the stem might be a little long - i read somewhere that when on the hoods the bars should block the axis of the front wheel - i can see this axis - could this be my issue?

Comments

• carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    do you see the axis in front of or behind the handlebar?

what size is the bike- how tall are you? what is your inseam?

What is the distance from bottom bracket to saddle top?

All these factors are relevant.

But a bike fit may be the answer....
  • mr_poll
    The axis is behind the bars.

52cm - I am 5'6" (and a half - hey it all matters when your vertically challenged) - inseam measured from the floor to the top of my leg is just over 30"

BB to saddle top - eek not sure I have been messing with it, will measure and re post.
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    mr_poll wrote:
    The axis is behind the bars.

52cm - I am 5'6" (and a half - hey it all matters when your vertically challenged) - inseam measured from the floor to the top of my leg is just over 30"

BB to saddle top - eek not sure I have been messing with it, will measure and re post.

Sounds like you're stretching to the bars- this would tie in with your saddle being moved right back.

Put the saddle in central position, and set the saddle to pedal height at 109% of your inseam. Make sure the pedal is at the lowest point in line with the seat tube

Then try a different stem to align the axle with the handlebar when riding on the hoods

What is the saddle to bar drop?
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    You may need to do a few exercises to strengthen your lower back. I get this pain at the start of the season but it goes once my back muscles get back into shape. (Over the winter I mainly go mountain biking or cross country skiing)
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Probably one or more of: reach too long, reach too short or bars too low.
    More problems but still living....
  • mrwibble
    mrwibble Posts: 980
    how tall are you and what size bike do you ride?
  • cloggsy
    cloggsy Posts: 243
    Sounds like you are over-reaching to me...

Are you able to ride with a slight curve of the spine, or are you arching your back?
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    If you don't get it sorted by tweaking your position, for a bike fit try Paul Hewitt Cycles in Leyland. :D
    Cycling weakly
  • mr_poll
    Right remeasured me and the bike - have dropped the seat height to 109% of my inside leg measurement, not sure why i kept raising it - this has been much better - still not 100% right but with a little more riding i should get this.

mrwibble - 5.6 (and a half - hey it matters when ur a short ass)
    skyd0g - Thanks if this doesnt work then I will get down there, next door to where my daughter works so might have a chat with then next time i pick her up.
  • slowlanejane
    slowlanejane Posts: 312
    +1 for the back exercises. And if it flares up so that you feel it when not on the bike, don't ride. I have mucho back problems - pre-existing to the bike ( from multiple caesarians and a badly broken leg) but manage it really well with exercises, sensible resting and a tip-top bike fit.
  • mr_poll
    Any pointers on bike specific exercises - googled some lower back things but nothing specific on bike back strengthening - think all things should be considered although the seat tweak seems to have helped.
  • mr_poll
    Any pointers on bike specific exercises - googled some lower back things but nothing specific on bike back strengthening - think all things should be considered although the seat tweak seems to have helped.