Riding La Marmotte 2011

Helen C
Helen C Posts: 14
My cycling buddy Martin and I are riding La Marmotte this year. Check out our preparation on the following link:

www.globalspokes.blogspot.com

I will be updating it every few weeks until the big day.

Helen

Comments

• AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    :mrgreen: Green with envy, it's a great event. Pasta and salad at the end, to die for.
  • Alain Quay
    Alain Quay Posts: 534
    Pasta and salad at the end, to die for.

I know an easier way to acquire both.

Good luck guys and will be interested to read how you get on.

I thought hard about this one but am not a good descender
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    edited May 2011
    Good luck!

I've ridden it the last two years but I'm doing the Maratona this year instead.

If you need any tips, just shout :wink:

ps. it doesn't go over the Croix de Fer any more.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • JD_76
    JD_76 Posts: 236
    Good luck Helen & Martin, I look forward to the updates on the blog.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    I will be in Marmotte territory at the end of June doing most of the Coles from the Marmotte route, but won't be doing the Marmotte proper until next year. I've ridden all it's climbs before and really looking forward to 2012.
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    keep training hard. Looking forward to it now.
  • sejackans
    sejackans Posts: 78
    I am supposed to be doing La Marmotte in 5 weeks time or so but have done very little cycling lately. When i say little i mean none as I fractured my ankle and ruptured the ligaments last month. But my cast comes off next week (hopefully) which gives me just under 4 weeks intensive training. What are my chances
  • chill123
    chill123 Posts: 210
    well you'll struggle but assuming the ankle holds i am a firm believer that most people can get through these types of events on mental attitude alone. just take it real steady pace wise.

i'll be on the start line too.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I'll be on the start with my mate as well and fitness now back on track after a few weeks of the bike due to illness. I have cycled the climbs individually back in 2004 but just not all together but since then have ticked off a few continental climbs back to back and know what kind of pace to set for all day climbing in the saddle.

Wont make it any easier though and think this will be my toughest test yet.
    Brian B.
  • Andrew N
    Andrew N Posts: 119
    maddog 2 wrote:
    Good luck!

I've ridden it the last two years but I'm doing the Maratona this year instead.

If you need any tips, just shout :wink:

ps. it doesn't go over the Croix de Fer any more.

Just the same as me...rode Marmotte in 2009 and 2010 (Etape in 2008) and now off for different (hopefully easier) challenge with the Maratona.

Marmotte is a great event and am sure you won't forget it!
    www.goinggoingbike.com
    :) Thanks for all your replies. We're happy with the prep at the moment - 3000 miles so far this year, but there are just no hills in the UK to prepare for the Alps. I have added a few more updates to my blog at globalspokes.blogspot.com
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    See you there!

We will be starting from the back, numbers 7200 or something. Looking forward to a lovely "enjoyable" day out

Training next week involves just going up and down Holme Moss as many times as I can...
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Good luck with that!
    re above comment on training I`m riding Raid Alpine start August and just doing lots of hilly routes; I`d have thought that routes with some good steady Pennines / Welsh **/ N England hills 2-3 miles DO go some way towards preparing for Alps etc; I`ve managed OK before with such approach to training for Pyrenees trips , just a case of remembering that if I`ve just ridden a 2 mile UL hill teh continenetal ones are >5x as long :)

** eg todays ride ; N Wales, around from Llanfyllin to Bala / Lake Vyrnwy has 2 good semi continental climbs; Berwyns (Milltir Gerrig 350 m 6 km / Bwlch Y Groes from North side 350 m 5 km) :) + going down Bwlch Y Groes south side and back up again :(:o -`orribble climb at 3.6 km of average 12% from Garmin stats -1700m in total climbing in 55 miles :)
  • Helen C
    Just done 116 miles, and over the Cat & Fiddle pass. Question is, could we have done Alpe d'Huez at the end. Then I thought, if my bath, beer, dinner and bed are at the top (which they will be) then, yes, I could have rode up the Alpe!! :P
  • damoando
    damoando Posts: 40
    Anyone sorted out a reasonable transfer from Geneva airport to Alpe d'Huez? French Cycling Hoildays are only picking up from Lyon and Grenoble so I need to sort this out myself :-( . So far the various options look painful / expensive.
  • glasgowbhoy
    damoando wrote:
    Anyone sorted out a reasonable transfer from Geneva airport to Alpe d'Huez? French Cycling Hoildays are only picking up from Lyon and Grenoble so I need to sort this out myself :-( . So far the various options look painful / expensive.

I've hired a car and driving down from Geneva on the Thursday (about 4pm) and back to Geneva on Sunday (mid morning). Don't know if that works with your schedule but will have room for one person and 1 more bike.

Car hire for the period was about £100 which isn't too bad considering the flexibility of having a car to get from the airport and back
  • damoando
    damoando Posts: 40
    Hi John

Entirely up to you but my flight will be arriving at 16.25. If you could accomodate I would be more than happy to share costs with you.

Cheers,
    Damian
  • Just done 116 miles, and over the Cat & Fiddle pass. Question is, could we have done Alpe d'Huez at the end. Then I thought, if my bath, beer, dinner and bed are at the top (which they will be) then, yes, I could have rode up the Alpe!!

Unfortunately the Cat isn't the Glandon, Telegraph or Galibier. In fact it isn't half of any of those I'm afraid (and I know it and the Marmotte and Peak district climbs intimately !). The Cat and the Snake are probably the best climbs in England, along with those of the Dragon ride (which I rode yesterday). The 3 day Tour of Wessex is also excellent prep for the Marmotte (which I ride if I'm doing the Marmotte).

But the best prepartion for the Marmotte is Tenerife......................cycling over Teide. Its a 45 km clinm from sea level to the lip of the crator. Thats the reason all the pro's go there to train.

Vinokourov's just come back from there (I saw him in 2007), Basso and his teamates a couple of years ago, and I trained with Omega-Pharmo Lotto pro Seb Lang this year at Easter when I was there (well I rode with him for about 500meters !).

The last 10k of the Galib is very steep,(from the 180 deg turn at Plan LAchet) and the ascent of the Alpe in mid afternoon can be a nightmare , esp if it's hot (which it has been since 2006). Remember you'll have a hundred miles in your legs when you reach the foto of the Alpe. Sorry don't want to scare you !

If you're not an elite rider you'll need 34x27 as bottom gear, and in fact this year I'm putting on an SRAM 28 sprocket (well I am 50 in Aug !).

And what ever you do DON'T ride up the Alpe to collect your number the day before(I have made that mistake in the past !) Or get carried away and ride any big cols during the week. Keep yourself fresh for the big one.

Good luck. I'll be there..........................again !
  • glasgowbhoy
    PM sent Damian
  • Sorry not had chance to update my blog which I started in Jan....................
  • If you want to ride during the week I'd suggest riding up the the Lauteret - it's 2000m , but its a very gradual climb over some 50k from the bottom of the Alpe and will give you a flavour of the descent from there to the foot of the Alpe (and don't carry on to the top of the Galib !).

Got some nice resturants/cafe's at the top to get some good food.

Again, don't do it within a couple of days of the M !
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    If you want to ride during the week I'd suggest riding up the the Lauteret - it's 2000m!

Good choice but there is also La Berarde - only 1500m. Lovely little restuarant at the top and outstanding scenery. You can get to La Berarde from about 1/3 up the Lauteret.
    Brian B.
  • Helen C
    Hi thanks for your reply. Yes I know the English "climbs" don't register on the continent!! Fortunately I have ridden all the Alpine and Pyreneen climbs many times - including the Alpe twice last year. The difference with La Marmotte is that 5 climbs all come together before dinner!! Uughh... Yes I agree with your advice for the Friday - rest - go in the van to collect the race number - eat a big dish of pasta...gaze at the scenery- and go to bed early!! still... looking forward to the challenge.

Last year we did the Sporting Tours Alpine week and did the Galibier - problem? not the heat but the cold!! Sleet on the top and temperatures at -4 degrees. So cold we couldn't descend safely. As I say on my blog, (globalspokes.blogspot.com) the key is dry roads for La Marmotte.....
    Good luck all who try it... :?