8 people, gear and 6 bikes from Scotland to Zurich

ohara227
ohara227 Posts: 225
edited May 2011 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

I have a senario that I hope to carry out with some friends in Sept:

To raise funds for a charity and to do it for fun, we aim to cycling on road bikes with a support car to take all the gear, from Zurich to Rome. Training is hard enough but logistically its a challange too. Just wondering what anyones thoughts are please.

Basically what I need help, ideas or experiences around is around the transport:

Ie hire a van here to put all the bikes, tents and gear in and take x people in van down south, ferry and diesel as well as the rest of the people flying. Or everyone taking 6 bikes over on the plane (most airlines insist on proper bike bags meaning extra expense, excess baggage etc) and hire a van or large car over there to take the tents and support to Rome.

We have road bikes and not keen on taking racks on them, hence we have 1/2 people willing to drive and set up tents for us coming at night etc, as well as on hand if anyone needs a rest or bike failure.

If anyone has done it, or similier experiences any tips would be good please!
'The hills are alive with the sounds of panting'

Rides:

MTB - Giant 2008 Trance X2
Road - Giant 2010 Defy 2
Hybrid - Giant Escape 2011 City 2

Comments

• Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    We do a trip once a year for up to 30 people, we always fly with the bikes on the plane and then hire a van out there on a one way basis. We do stay in hotels though. We also usually hire a mini bus (8 seater) and take out a bike rack with us so you can carry gear, knackered riders and 3 bikes if necessary. Top tip, always take out the full insurance package, last year the van was crashed every other day (or vet your support drivers first) !
    You might want to look at Eurostar and train instead, unlikely to be any cheaper but bikes on trains in Europe is no problem either if bagged, I've done this too.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols