Specialized Venge 2012 / what frame for £2500±

canbakay
canbakay Posts: 282
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
Any knowledge other than whats published? or any thoughts..the dedicated site has quite a bit but very biased obviously.

is it good looking or is it marmite?

the 2012 model coming to the uk in about a month

the aero-road specialized venge 5 years in the making (hmm...)

[url=thttp://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/imageBank/s/Specialized_McLaren_Venge_aero_road_bike_2011.jpg]thttp://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/imageBa ... e_2011.jpg[/url]

http://bicycling.com/blogs/thisjustin/f ... Poggio.jpg

the frameset goes for 2500 for the non mclaren one..
the mclaren one for 5 grand hahaha yeah
apparently slightly lighter but very similar.
Dogma
Madone
R3
Point Reyes
Raleigh Burner
Boris

Comments

• carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    saw one today and it looks fantastic. It was bolted to the floor in a bike shop in the lake district, but certainly seems all it's cracked up to be

Personally, I'd buy the frameset at £2500 and do a self build for £4000 rather than pay £6k for one
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    For 2.5k you could buy something really special :wink: it's probably a 1000 quid frame and a weeks wages for one of the younger HTC riders.................
  • canbakay
    carrock wrote:
    saw one today and it looks fantastic. It was bolted to the floor in a bike shop in the lake district, but certainly seems all it's cracked up to be

Personally, I'd buy the frameset at £2500 and do a self build for £4000 rather than pay £6k for one

which colour code did you see? any more reflections on it?

i completely agree! ive got my brand new cosmic sls and sram red waiting for a frame!!!
    considering adding this to the list!!
    any more suggestions?
    Dogma
    Madone
    R3
    Point Reyes
    Raleigh Burner
    Boris
  • canbakay
    Flasher wrote:
    For 2.5k you could buy something really special :wink: it's probably a 1000 quid frame and a weeks wages for one of the younger HTC riders.................

yeah mate i see what you mean!

r3
    s2
    canyon aeroad
    canyon ultimate slx
    teammachine slr01
    perhaps this s-works one

2500 is my max, any suggestions?
    Dogma
    Madone
    R3
    Point Reyes
    Raleigh Burner
    Boris
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    canbakay wrote:
    Flasher wrote:

r3
    s2
    canyon aeroad
    canyon ultimate slx
    teammachine slr01
    perhaps this s-works one

Love the look of the all black Aeroad (£1789) Philippe Gilbert seems to be doing ok on it 8)

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2142
  • orbeaorca
    orbeaorca Posts: 246
    canbakay wrote:
    Flasher wrote:

r3
    s2
    canyon aeroad
    canyon ultimate slx
    teammachine slr01
    perhaps this s-works one

R3 and S2 are two totally different types of frame, are you looking for a race bike, a sportive bike a bike you can toodle about on all day?
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    How much is the Cervelo R5ca? Looks boss that
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    £2.5k also brings the Wilier Cento Uno into play (if you haggle a bit!). Not sure I could spend that much on a Specialized, even one so good looking!
  • orbeaorca
    orbeaorca Posts: 246
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

Frame approx 7.5k
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    orbeaorca wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

Frame approx 7.5k

Suggest the OP adds it to his list
  • Stuy-b
    Stuy-b Posts: 248
    ridley helium or noah depending on what you want from a bike.

helium = super light
    noah = super aero and still very light
  • canbakay
    i knoww the aeroad seems like a good option BUT my problem is i have a very sharp eye, seeing imperfections really put me - for example with the aeroad, behind the seat post, the finishings and details arent %100 smooth.... even a 600 quid trek would be perfect in details (putting performance aside). also canyons first attempt at a aero road bike is the aeroad...

s2 and the r3 are very different yeah but at the moment my options are wide open! leaning towards race...comfort isn't really a big issue for me!

the r5ca: haha not happening @ £7000.......one day i suppose....when i rob a bank.

about the wilier, mate i am the king of haggle! whatever i end up getting i wont accept anything under %10 off...i knowwww 2500 for the sworks is a crapload. having said that, im sure its still a great ride!
    Dogma
    Madone
    R3
    Point Reyes
    Raleigh Burner
    Boris
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    A friend of mine secured his Cento Uno for £2.5 from a LBS when several others refused to deal, so it is possible! One of the nicest bike builds I've done too, the ISP and unusual rear stays make it really stand out.
  • canbakay
    I could get the cento uno for 2400 at the most thru lbs but it just has sooo much going on it! im sure its a great machine but it is very flash...

how about colnago c50 or m11?
    Dogma
    Madone
    R3
    Point Reyes
    Raleigh Burner
    Boris
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    canbakay wrote:
    carrock wrote:

i completely agree! ive got my brand new cosmic sls and sram red waiting for a frame!!!
    any more suggestions?

It was the red/white black. something which isnt clear on the pix- the top tube is very flat- you could rest a mug of tea on it. And specialized is written on the top tube from saddle to stem, only visible from above. Photos do not do it justice. couldn't pick it up though. Wife was with me so didnt want to look too interested. Told her it was about £2500 and I would like one. Didnt mention the whole bike cost £6000. Thank god for seperate bank accounts.....
  • canbakay
    carrock wrote:
    canbakay wrote:
    carrock wrote:

any more suggestions?

It was the red/white black. something which isnt clear on the pix- the top tube is very flat- you could rest a mug of tea on it. And specialized is written on the top tube from saddle to stem, only visible from above. Photos do not do it justice. couldn't pick it up though. Wife was with me so didnt want to look too interested. Told her it was about £2500 and I would like one. Didnt mention the whole bike cost £6000. Thank god for seperate bank accounts.....

hmm that may be a bit too much for me..although i feel when i do see it, its gonna be better looking than i thought. performance wise, its probably v good..

m10 colnago anyone? (with a big time haggle sesh)
    Dogma
    Madone
    R3
    Point Reyes
    Raleigh Burner
    Boris