Carrera Subway 8

father_jack
father_jack Posts: 3,509
edited May 2011 in Commuting general
Considering getting a hub based bike, any recommendations for the Carrera Subway 8? It's going for £400.
Say... That's a nice bike..
Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)

Comments

• Dalton
    Dalton Posts: 265
    Mixed reviews around for Subway 8 - many negatives about build quality and durabilty.

If you are after hub gears...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/charge-tap-2010/

2010 - Charge Tap - nice ride for a very nice price! (as long as you don't need a large)

:D
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Considering the spec that Halfords are tempting you with at the mo it does seem to be good value.

* Alloy Rims: Yes
    * Brake Type: Hydraulic Disc
    * Chainset: Truvativ 5D
    * Forks: Chromoly fork
    * Frame: Lightweight 7005 aluminium
    * Frame Colour: Shiny black
    * Frame Material: Lightweight 7005 aluminium
    * Frame Size: 19-20
    * Front Brake: Shimano BRM-486 hydraulic disc brake 180mm rotor
    * Gear Shifters: Shimano SL-S500
    * Gears: 1-9
    * Handle Bars: Kalloy low rise alloy
    * Headset: Semi integrated
    * Number of Gears: 8
    * Pedals: Wellgo Alloy Black
    * Rear Brake: Shimano BRM-486 hydraulic disc brake 160mm rotor
    * Rear Pannier Mounts: Yes
    * Rims: Mavic XM-317 disc alloy black
    * Saddle: Carrera
    * Stem: Alloy
    * Traditional Mudguard Mounts: Guards Supplied
    * Exact Frame Size: 20"
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • father_jack
    That Charge has the Nexus hub, Halfords Carrera is Alfine. hydraulic disc brakes too
  • Keiron Curtis
    Keiron Curtis Posts: 126
    I bought one 3 years ago, I had nothing but trouble with it for approximately 6 months, it wasn't down to the bike per se., simply that Hafords hadn't a clue how to set it up initially and then no idea how to maintain it, I'd taken out their maintenance agreement, specifically, because I'm a hopeless mechanic.In the end they admitted their inadequacy, and stated that their mechanics weren't even trained how to maintain the Nexus 8 internal hub! So they gave me a Subway I instead, and allowed me to keep the Subway 8, which one day I'm going to refurbish, as I said nothing wrong with the bike, just make sure Halfords now know what they're doing. Cheers.
    k.curtis
  • father_jack
    I thought setting up hub gear was pretty easy just need to line up a line or something?
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    I thought setting up hub gear was pretty easy just need to line up a line or something?
    It is, put it in fourth gear & use the barrel adjuster to line up the two lines, switch to eight & back to four, check again then up to first then back to four & re-check. That's it...
    If there is a problem with the internals then I'm not surprised they couldn't fix it, I've taken a Nexus apart before to change the bearings on the old Subway 8 & it's certainly not user serviceable due to the crazy amount of parts inside it.
    The new Subway 8 looks really good though at that price, has an EBB & hydro brakes so less faffing about to remove the wheels compared to the old hub brake Nexus version.
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    That's a cracking price for an Alfine equipped bike. The Carrera range is good vfm, and if there's someone in your local Halfords who knows their stuff you'll be alright.

If there isn't, take it to a LBS for a proper set up. Even with their £30/£40 fee it's worth it for £400. I paid £900 for a Charge Mixer.

The Alfine is so sweet it makes my derailleur bikes feel clumsy
  • father_jack
    Tried Subway 2 18" and 20", not sure they both feel wrong size, 2" gap between each frame size is quite a bit. I'm 5'8"

As usual Halfords useless, tyres were deflated so knackers up ride height :roll:
  • Dalton
    Dalton Posts: 265
    I'm 5' 6" and had a Subway 2 in a size 18". Fitted me perfectly well.

Not sure if that helps at all?

This is part of the problem with Halfrauds - they refuse to let you take their bikes out for a test ride, not great Customer Service IMO.

:!:
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    With any hub gear bike you have to consider the chain tensioning system.
    From Halfords pic, the Subway 8 uses an eccentric bottom bracket with external clamping bolts. My bike has a similar system and it is reliable and effective.