Richmond Sportives (N. Yorks) 28th May 2011

gsk82
gsk82 Posts: 3,570
Is anyone else on here doing the Richmond sportive on 28th May?

I'm in for the 100m, 5 dales route for the small sum of £15. I've only rode in the dales once and was in too much pain to appreciate the surroundings. I feel in good shape at the minute though so will hopefully take in the scenery and be closer tor the gold 6hr time than the silver.
"Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago

Comments

• sagalout
    sagalout Posts: 338
    I'm signed up for this one. Supposed be be an excellent route and event, and comes a couple of weeks after the Etape du Dales so I should be reasonably fit for it :)
  • Royal Dragoon
    Royal Dragoon Posts: 270
    Have a look through the pages here:

http://www.mtbe.co.uk/road-bike-discussion-f15.html

They have a number of riders who are doing it this year, me included, the 100 mile, 5 dale.

Plus they have done it the past few years and have some excellent write ups of past events.

It really is an excellent event. :wink:
  • stevo1602
    stevo1602 Posts: 43
    Yeah I am doing the 5 Dale 100 mile route again this year.
    This Sportive has got to be one of the best in the Country, deffo the best I have ever done.
    The scenery is awsome, hope its not raining this year, however if you are doing the 5 Dale and you get to Park Rash you WILL be in pain, and you won't be ars*d about the scenery....just surviving back to Richmond.
  • gsk82
    i went down park rash during a wet and windy columba chemo classic in 2009 and had to unclip and use my feet to stop at the bottom.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • bs147
    bs147 Posts: 164
    I did the 3 Dales route last year, signed up for the 5 this year! Thoroughly enjoyed it last year, brilliant event, well organised, great value for money - and a hot meal at the end!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    bs147 wrote:
    I did the 3 Dales route last year, signed up for the 5 this year! Thoroughly enjoyed it last year, brilliant event, well organised, great value for money - and a hot meal at the end!

Well, a baked spud with baked beans in styrofoam :lol: Last year I spilled half my tea as I was so cold. The harsh bit wasn't Park Rash but the length of the ride back from there to Richmond; you kind of think that it is a nice easy downhill from Park Rash to Richmond. It isn't :lol: (well, to be fair, there is a lot of lovely roller coaster descent down Coverdale but there are a lot of little climbs and one absolute git that is hidden round a corner - don't disbelieve the road sign; it doesn't lie!).
    Faster than a tent.......
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    Signed up for the 5 Dales, looking forward to it, been training a bit harder as having twice failed to climb Park Rash, i am determined to conquer the bugger this time.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    I've signed up for the 5 dales this year. I did the 3 dales last year, but faired poorly due to many factors - OK I was a lazy git :wink: It was great event last year and I enjoyed it.

However, I've just returned from a few weeks in Scotland and I'm out of cycling condition so 100 miles might be just a bit too much. I'm putting myself on serious training for the next 3 weeks including as many hills as possible.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • gsk82
    i can't believe this has only got 346 entries. what do they need todo to attract more riders (assuming they'd want to)? charge 30quid and give out 50p bottles and t shirts to clean your chain with?
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I am in for the 5 dales this year. Two years ago I snapped a spoke at Tan Hill and buckled my wheel and had to limp back to Richmond. Last year I wimped out due to the weather and decided not to drive from all the way from Scotland to cycle in the rain.

After a soaking at this years Fred Whitton I will be watching the weather for this event as well but hopefully all will be well.

I know the Dales and its a great route and given the price and the feedback from the previous years this has to be one the best sportives on the calendar.
    Brian B.
  • stifflersmom
    stifflersmom Posts: 177
    Looks a great event, I'll be signing up for this. Unsure which distance to do, I'll probably decide on the day, weather depending, because I'm a bit of a wuss like that :oops: