HELP! Cable mounts to hydraulic hose mounts?

Muddy1182
Muddy1182 Posts: 146
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Afternoon all. Just finishing my first build, but have made a slight over sight as the topic title might suggest.

The frame i am using was designed for cable rear brakes, and i am fitting Avid juicy 3's. So the question is, How do i fit the hoses to the mounts. I have seen the adaptor things, but they seem bulky for running across the top tube. Plus i'd be worried about catching my leg on them.

Do i drill the cable mounts and file out the slot? If so, what do you suggest i use to fix the hose in the mount?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    modifying the guides is a pain and will need either the brakes disassemble (new barb and olive) and a bleed, or bending the guides resulting in cracked paint and possible broken guides.

either use the type of adapters you have seen or just some zip ties.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    drilling my prove to be fun as depending on the frame, it wold be next to ipossible to get a drill in as oter parts of the frame will get i the way, at least that is ow it was on my Gary Fisher hmmm (<-- two mentions in one day!)

I used P-clips, like what is used to hold car brake lines, and wedged them into the slot - seems to be holding up ... but I am thinking of a mkII version as they leave the cable quite proud of the frame, probably won't get round to it but .....)
  • mattyboy199
    mattyboy199 Posts: 627
    why not drill a hole in the opposite direction of the hoses will run to allow use of zips ties, should be quite tidy. Also look at hope hose guides.
    Show me your green bits i might buy them !
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    why not drill a hole in the opposite direction of the hoses will run to allow use of zips ties, should be quite tidy. Also look at hope hose guides.

you have never tried this have you.

there is not the room for a drill. or a flex drive. needle files are all that will fit. and then the hose is loose unless you bend/crimp the bosses.

been there done it and would not do it again.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mattyboy199
    mattyboy199 Posts: 627
    Nick it was just a suggestion
    Show me your green bits i might buy them !
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    I used the adaptor things on the apollo project. They seem to be holding up nicely.