Leaking Hydraulic Hose - Rear Breake

jb0o
jb0o Posts: 7
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Recently came the owner of a Carrera Kraken XC with hydraulic brakes. Only down side is that the rear brakes aren't working - there seems to be a leak coming from the hose close to the brake lever.

I've done the Google search and found this guide within this website: http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/artic ... hose-27758

Im assuming the appropiate repair would be to replace the hose then bleed the system?

I also couldn't find anywhere to buy the hydraulic hoses from.. eBay didn't bring anything up. How much should I be looking to pay for a replacement hose and where can I get one from?

Thanks in advance,
Jonny

Comments

• gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    What brakes?
    Make, Model?

Should say on the lever/callipers
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • jb0o
    Thanks for your reply GTD,

Brakes: Tectro Aurgia Comp Hydraulic Front and Rear
    Make/Model: Carrera Kraken XC Spec
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    iirc they are a kevlar hose so can be shortened

The manual is here...
    http://www.tektro.com/_english/03_support/download.php?f=down01292205586.pdf

but the union (bit that screws in to the lever) may just need tightening dont go crazy with it you dont want to snap it off

CRC sell a service/bleed kit, but I flushed and bled my mates with a large syringe filled with citroen LHM fluid and some tubing i had lying around

tektro service kit

they also sell hose kits

tektro hose kit
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • 101_North
    101_North Posts: 607
    EDIT: Beaten to it :)

Could you get away with just shortening the hose slightly rather than replacing? In that case this kit might do the trick:

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/14 ... plete.html

• jb0o
    Perfect, thanks for that guys.

I should have been more clear with the leak. The leak is actually coming from a split in the hose. The split is fairly close to the lever so depending on how much excess of hose I have, I could try to shorten the hose.

I've ordered the bleeding kit as that'll need to be done anyway and I'll check the hose tonight.

If all else fails I'll bring the bike to you GTD as I'm only in Hartlepool, haha, only joking.

Thanks again!
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    see if you can shorten the ost by cutting out the split section and a bit further just to be sure ... in any case, keep the host as it can still be used on the front, whcih is much sorter.

I have shrtened hoses in the past and althogh you cannot reuse the olive, and I;ve tried but it gets knackered on the process of removal, you can use the central barb - a sharp knife is used to cut the hose off around it. Most likley a new hose kit will contain these parts.