Slow Juicy 3 Brake Lever Return

mattrgee
mattrgee Posts: 157
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Both the front and rear brake levers on my Juicy 3s are very slow to return to there start position. This seemed to happen overnight, they were fine on the Monday but by Wednesday they were like this. The brakes still work fine. I'm 99% sure they don't need bleeding again as they were bled less than 12 weeks ago and braking performance is still good.

Any thoughts?

I've given a good squirt of oil with a teflon based lube but no joy.[/list]

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Could just be dust and gunk. Try water.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mattrgee
    I'll give it a go. I'm wondering if the lubricant I've used has worked its way down to the seals in the brake lever and made them swell. Apparently, a rubber friendly oil should be used???

If I strip the brake lever will it result in the system needing to be bled? If so, is it better to drain the system first before stripping the lever?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I wouldn't dismantle anything yet, just flush the whole area out with some soapy water and rinse well.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    mattrgee wrote:
    "The brakes still work fine".
    "braking performance is still good".

Any thoughts?

As they're still working fine and performance is good, I wouldn't bother doing anything.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    i had a similar issue with my avid levers....a quick squirt of wd40 in the lever pivot...some dirty stuff came out...levers ping back all the time perfectly now!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • mattrgee
    I've cleaned and lubricated the pistons with some dot 5.1, cleaned the lever and lubricated the pivot, but no improvement :(

I guess I could just ignore it and push the lever back to its normal position every time but that seems a bit silly.
  • mike1-2
    mike1-2 Posts: 456
    Here's a bit of useful advice.

My old Juicy 7's did that and I could never get them to work like they did before so I sold them. Happily my new Elixir's have never done it.
  • mattrgee
    Bought some silicone based oil so hopefully it will help loosen it without a teardown of the lever.