ZESTY BB...is it cracked?

Mccraque
Mccraque Posts: 819
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
sounds silly I know, but cannot work out if the bottom bracket on my'09 zesty 514 is cracked or not. There's certainly damage to the paintwork, running in a uniform line along one of the joins in the bottom bracket. At first I thought this was caused by the chain coming off and jamming against the frame. Now (and given the rep of these bikes), I am more concerned that this could be cracked. It does feel like more than just damaged paint, but trying to get at it to see is quite difficult. This is the best photo I can manage...thoughts?

Comments

• Mccraque
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/62413584@N04/5679767214/

hmmm..pic above didn't seem to work...try this
  • rhialto
    rhialto Posts: 277
    Sorry, but I can't see what's going on in the photo. I can say that I have a ring around my bottom bracket shell where the paint has been scratched off (2008 Zesty 514). The small chainring bolt-holes rotate around the bottom bracket with very little clearance. When I ride in muddy conditions (quite frequently around here), the grit gets caught between the chainring and the bottom bracket shell and grinds a groove in the frame. However, I'm not sure that's what I'm seeing in your photo.

If you have any doubts, take it to your retailer. Lapierre frames are under warrantee for 5 years.

As for their reputation, from what I understand all the incidents of cracking were a result of a manufacturing issue with carbon parts and that was rectified a couple of years ago. Also, while this is very anecdotal, living in France I see a lot of Lapierre bikes and I have yet to meet anyone here who has any issues with them. Of course, that's not to say that you don't have a cracked bottom bracket. It could happen to anyone. Let's hope it hasn't happened to you!
  • Mccraque
    Thanks for the response - i know what you mean about the small chain ring, but it's not that...that was my first thought and, as you say, it is a rotational "groove/crack" - but is too far into the centre of the bb to be that.

I've got it booked in to be looked at next week...there's now play in the bb too...grrrr.
  • allthegearnoidea
    allthegearnoidea Posts: 4,077
    looking at what you can see on the picture, there is a 'line' visable but would need more light in the picture to see it properly, if in doubt take it back tot he supplying shop and get them to check it, lapierre are very good with warantee replacements,
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    It's french, of course it is.
  • Mccraque
    LOL...Thanks for your input Bennett.

Anyone else experienced anything like this?
  • Devastazione
    Devastazione Posts: 280
    Wow...a cracked Lapierre ?? How weird !!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    Specialized Tarmac Sworks
    Canyon Spectral 8.9