Train Fares/Discount Websites

jellybellywmb
jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
edited May 2011 in Tour & expedition
Anyone know how you actually get these massive 80% discount on site like trainline.com and redspottedhanky.com ?

I just did a mini tour from home out to Norfolk Suffolk and got the train back from Great Yarmouth, I checked all the websites for prices and all the so called discount websites had cost of £55-£60 anyway for one reason or another i forgot to book tickets which wasnt a problem as i decided just to but from the station, probablt cost a bit more bit hey ho.

Total cost of journey........... £26.70!!

No problems getting my bike on board and got a seat all the way, so whats the deal whith these website

Just looked at another one i have in mind and will need to get back from Barmouth in Wales

Websites £56.00
National Rain Enquieries £35.20

Really enjoyed Norfolk and suffolk, day one took me from Leicestershire to just outside hunstanton (Burnham Deepdale) and day two I followed the coast rount to just before Great Yarmouth, excellent weather and quite roads (thanks to the royal wedding i think)
"BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Anyone know how you actually get these massive 80% discount on site like trainline.com and redspottedhanky.com ?

Ignore discount websites they're obviously a con. The nomal train company websites which includes trainline.com) will show you all the available tickets (te East Coast mainline site is the best for cyclist as you can book bike spaces onlin.

Otherwise, book well in advance (tickets go on sale 12 weeks before the departure date). Try to choose less popular times eg after 10 on a weekday if you are planning on going to a holiday destination.