1st sportive ,cake stops + toilets on this route?

cyberknight
cyberknight Posts: 1,238
OK i am doing this sportive on the 22 of may and would like some idea of places where i could stop for a cake stop and somewhere to make deposits :shock:

http://www.wheelsinwheels.com/midlandmonster/73mile_midland_monster_cycling_sportive_event.html

1st sportive ever for me and i have no idea what to expect , the organizers have been a bit slow in responding but it is bank holiday week...
FCN 3/5/9

Comments

• getjim
    getjim Posts: 30
    If it's a decent sporive there should be feed stations with toilet facilities along the route. You should get all this info with your rider pack which should arrive a week or two before the event or when you register at the start village.
  • getjim
    There will be two feed stations covering both routes to keep nutrition levels topped up and a drink and meal awaits all finishers.

Info from the website.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    getjim wrote:
    There will be two feed stations covering both routes to keep nutrition levels topped up and a drink and meal awaits all finishers.

Info from the website.

Thanks i already had that information, it was more "facilities " that was the concern.
    I would assume that food is included in the cost of sportives?
    I am a complete newb at this as i only decided to have a go a week ago , i have been doing 100 miles a week commuting for 2.5 years and in the last week i did a 12, 45, 15, 20 and 35 mile ride.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    getjim wrote:
    If it's a decent sporive there should be feed stations with toilet facilities along the route.

I'm interested by that comment. I've done a fair few British sportives and can't remember toilet facilities anywhere. I often wonder what the locals think of a whole load of cyclists coming to their area and watering the local countryside, and how the organisers deal with the local authorities who might ask about these arrangements. When I did the Marmotte, there were "pisssoirs" and cubicles at all the feedstops but I honestly can't remember seeing these on UK sportives apart from at the start/finish.
  • getjim
    Rode the Cornwall Tor a couple of weeks ago and all feed stations had toilet facilities.
  • jhop
    jhop Posts: 369
    Yesterday the Forest of Dean did and last Monday so did the Cotswold Classic it seems the norm to cater for both male and female riders as well as the local community/environment these days. Before these two the last one I rode was the Cheshire Cat and with 000's not 00's of riders that also had, and needed full facilities at feed stations.
    Next two sportives for me are the TOW and the Magnificat and I am sure from memories of last year that they also as provide suitable facilities.
  • As a woman loo stops are quite important to me and also to some of the men. The better sportives do offer loo facilities at the feed stops and if you're looking to get a good time for yourself you want to minimize your stops. Sportives that I have done and would do again for these reasons (and others) are the White Horse Challenge in April and Hampshire Hilly Hundred in May, the Dartmoor Classic in June and the Newbury Magnificat also in June. The Tour of Wessex did not have this it was a case of finding somewhere behind the feed station while husband stood guard - not great!
  • emx
    emx Posts: 164
    how on earth do any of you manage when you are not riding a sportive..? Do you tow a portaloo around behind your bike..?
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    emx wrote:
    how on earth do any of you manage when you are not riding a sportive..? Do you tow a portaloo around behind your bike..?
    Plan a route that goes past places that have public toilets :wink:
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    emx wrote:

Agreed! I think it's pretty rare to have toilets at feed stops. If you really need one and can't manage with hedgerows/ walls etc, then you will usually find them when you pass through villages. Even that is uncertain as here in Cumbria a good number of public loos have been closed due to the cuts. Maybe loos are more necessary on sportives which take place in more populous areas, but they are more or less marked by their absence on the northern sportives.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    topcattim wrote:
    getjim wrote:
    If it's a decent sporive there should be feed stations with toilet facilities along the route.

I'm interested by that comment. I've done a fair few British sportives and can't remember toilet facilities anywhere. I often wonder what the locals think of a whole load of cyclists coming to their area and watering the local countryside,

I imagine that if they have any complaints it's more to do with us slowing their car journeys down than pis sing behind a hedge.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.