Coil Pike Lockout not working - safe to ride?

guttertrash
guttertrash Posts: 147
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Noticed recently that the lockout on my Pikes doesn't do anything anymore.

Is it safe to ride in this condition? Don't want the fork to explode on me. It feels the same as normal, not bottoming out or anything, just the lockout not doing anything.

Also, is it a hard job to fix? Something I can do myself or would I better off sending it away?

Cheers!
Ribble New Sportive
Specialized Pitch Pro

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    could be low on Oil.

when was it last serviced?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • guttertrash
    Was some time ago, probably coming up to a couple of years, but bike hasn't been used much in the last 12 months.
    Ribble New Sportive
    Specialized Pitch Pro
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    So, the fork moves as if un-locked even the LO lever is to locked? Quite probably the oil level is low. Not likely to cause any major problems immediately, but get them serviced or have a look online to see how to do an oil change yourself, it isnt too difficult. Hardest part is finding an accurate way of measuring the oil volume you add, it tends to be accuracy of +/- 3ml which is quite fine. The SRAM website has online manuals for their forks, and are very comprehensive.
  • guttertrash
    Thats right. They feel normal, just don't lock.

I'll do some searching for doing a self oil change :)
    Ribble New Sportive
    Specialized Pitch Pro
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    also check that the cable is pulling the dial fully round to the locked position.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown