Hope Pro II .... fail...

rallypug111
rallypug111 Posts: 4
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All

Went to Afan this weekend, and my Hope Pro II hub decided it didn't want to go up any more hills!

Anyone else had the same?

Needless to say, email waiting for Hope on Tuesday morning!

IMG_0850.jpg

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Seen lots and lots do this. There was a faulty batch. Contact Hope, they might sort it.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    try the phone on Tuesday you will get a better result.

yet another one bikes the dust.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I will be doing both - phone & email....do you reckon I will get the complete hub or just the body?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You might get nowt ;-)

Depends what mood they are in, legally your warranty is with the place you bought it from. But I think you will be ok.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You'll probably be fine - they know they are made out of cheese. Rubbishy cheese at that.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    You might also be lucky. I have heard them take your wheel and fully rebuild it.

Hope can offer amazing customer service or just average depending on how good a mood they are in.
    Being nice puts people in a better mood!
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • paul20v
    paul20v Posts: 267
    why do you always see posts like this when you have just bought things :(
  • cavegiant
    Don't worry pro2 is one of the best hubs out there, this was from one bad batch.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cavegiant wrote:
    Don't worry pro2 is one of the best hubs out there, this was from one bad batch.

a very long run of a bad batch. these have been failing like this for years.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cavegiant
    shh, I was trying to make him feel good about his purchase ;-)
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    paul20v wrote:
    why do you always see posts like this when you have just bought things :(

And they are out numbered by the many tens of thousands in use that haven't snapped, failure rates would be well in the nought point something percentage range.

Shimano hubs snap as well (Axles), as do others.

Can someone recommend a hub and guarantee 100% it wont break and it must be QR,10mm and 12mm compatable?
  • paul20v
    cavegiant wrote:
    shh, I was trying to make him feel good about his purchase ;-)
    Thanks for the effort much appreciated :D
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    put a couple of cable ties on it.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I must admit I have not been that impressed with mine. My bearings were shot after 18 months of riding and it was a bugger to get apart. Having said that it does seem to be well made inside and the replacement bearings were not expensive.

But my previous hub which was a generic marin own brand lasted 3 years of similar abuse.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'm very unimpressed with the amount of drag in the bearings on mine I must say.
  • paul20v
    njee20 wrote:
    I'm very unimpressed with the amount of drag in the bearings on mine I must say.
    Mmm both my front and rear wheel will spin for ages with just a quick flick of the wheels
    so i have no moans about that .
  • davethedoo
    davethedoo Posts: 69
    Had XT hub on the rear which lasted a year and could not be fixed...result - new wheel

Had Hope Pro II's for the last 2 years and regularly service them (easy with specific tool kit) and they are as excellent as the day I got them
  • jj1048
    jj1048 Posts: 107
    paul20v wrote:
    njee20 wrote:
    Mmm both my front and rear wheel will spin for ages with just a quick flick of the wheels
    so i have no moans about that .

Mine are coming up 5 years old. I recently bought a bearing kit thinking that they must need servicing by now; I dismantled them and found that the bearings were fine. I popped some fresh grease in the old bearings that were easy to get to, cleaned and regreased the freehub and they're running sweet as. Will fit the new bearings when the old ones are shot.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    njee20 wrote:

If thats post service, then you might not have the seal seated correctly. It can take a fair knock to get it in position.

It might be worth pulling it apart and resealing it. I stuffed mine with so much grease it was as quiet as a shimano for the first couple of runs.
  • isn'ty this from when they used to be machined from blanks? It is my understanding that the design changed at some point to incorporate forging the blank before machining?
  • Just to close this off... had excellent service from Hope.... brand new shiny Pro II Evo Hope on the doorstep this morning.... lets see if I can break this one :)
  • Paulkingk
    Paulkingk Posts: 689
    I thought i was lookng at the photo I posted not to long ago. Exactly the same. I sent the Whole wheel to hope which was out of warranty and the replaced the hub shell, freehub,rebuilt the wheel and even replaced a few damaged spokes they found.
    Had it back to me in a couple of days and didn't even want to see a receipt.
    It is unfortunate but they back up the products with such awesome customer care that i'll def buy hope again.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Bout to say i have seen alot of Pro 2 failures,

there not great hubs but they are a good price which is why alot of people have them. There is a well known issue where the flange ont he hubs crack and that can then spread to the body. Iev seen freewheels snap off on them regularly too.

But on th up side everytime i have seen this they have rebuilt wheel/replaced hub for no cost as i think there sales would hit rock bottom if they didn't support them.