What year is this bike? (Steel Gary Fisher Piranha)

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Just picked this up with a view to making something quirky of it
01052011045.jpg
So its clearly a Gary Fisher Piranha, steel frame, 68mm BB, appears to have been 3x7, the quill stem looks like its sized for a 1 1/8" threaded steerer (as opposed to 1"), will be fitting decent wheels, better V's and tidying up/modernising it a bit (not to much), anyway, anyone know what year it is?

If (as I think) its 1 1/8th should I keep the rigid forks or go for some short travel suspension ones - feel free to comment!

Simon
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    your best bet is to get a year date off the shimano parts.

http://www.mombat.org/Shimano.htm#2005

scroll to the bottom for the codes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    Great Nick, thanks for that will be doing that......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    perhaps the frame number holds a clue I know my Giant and Merida built Carrera both have the year as part of the frame number but I dont think my orange does...
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • The Rookie
    Yes, I'm used to some Merida frames having that, it starts 00 so I guess it is possible it's a 2000MY, but I wouldn't call it conclusive!

Simon