Shimano RS10 wheelset - AVOID AVOID AVOID

petehendrick
petehendrick Posts: 10
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
Just returned from another ride cut short by spokes coming loose / snapping on my fragile Shimano RS10 wheelset with not a pot-hole, harsh descent or sprint in site. I've given up the ghost with these things and would like to urge everybody out there to not buy a bike if it's been lumbered with these. Absolute garbage.

I've ordered some Planet X Model C's based on a recommendation from a friend I cycled with today who has them - unbranded, nice looking, pretty light and supposedly very robust. The Shimanos are going to the tip, I'd feel to guilty flogging these to some poor soul on Ebay.

<Harumph>

Comments

• carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    I would return them, seeking a refund as they are clearly not fit for purpose
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Hi petehendrick. Did you try chatting with the point of sale about them? Plenty of folks would say the RS10 is an ok wheel for the price.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Hmm - I've had these for quite a few thousand miles on bumpy and pot-holed roads with 95kg of me sat on them as they are as good as the day I got them (secondhand - both sets - Cayo & Variado)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I've had them for about a year on my bike I use in Summer (BMC Streetfire SSX) so it's too late to go back with the receipt unfortunately. They came with the bike and weren't really discussed PoS. I've checked in other forums and it seems to be a pretty common complaint. Simply can't take a risk with repairing a repeat fault like this with something as critical for safety as wheels. Last time a spoke came out it mangled my derailleur.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Last time a spoke came out it mangled my derailleur.

Hmm, did your derailleur hit the spoke?
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Used the wheelset with no problems at all. Remained true with no issues.

I'd recommend them.
  • PK1
    PK1 Posts: 193
    Never had a spoke break on an RS10 or RS20 , but have had 3 break on two different Planet X Model Bs. Strange how quality / luck varies.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Remember that when one spoke goes, others on the same wheel soon follow. I can't remember why, but it's a phenomenom which is often talked about on BR. Could it just be that which caused the problem?

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Hmm - I've had these for quite a few thousand miles on bumpy and pot-holed roads with 95kg of me sat on them as they are as good as the day I got them (secondhand - both sets - Cayo & Variado)

+1
  • Legshaver
    Legshaver Posts: 75
    RS 10s seem to have a quality assurance problem. Shimano are aware and several steps have been taken to eliminate spoke brakeage.

My cycling buddy and I both bought RS10 equipped bikes from the same LBS on the same day in 2009. My mate got a Spesh CF Roubaix and I got a Cannondale Synapse CF. As we are usually out together we ride through very similar conditions and have roughly the same mileages. His RS10s broke spokes within weeks of purchase and was generally a PITA. He kept taking the bike back to the LBS and complaining about the problem whereby the LBS got a replacement pair of wheels from Shimano. Because there were no RS10s around at the time Shimano sent him a pair of RS80s! (Nice...) No problem with these of course.

Through all this my RS10s have been totally trouble free. I have now bought a pair of Ultegra wheels, which are excellent, but still use my RS10s for practically all training rides. When they give me any trouble I'll probably scrap them as they've already done 5000 miles, and they are after all an entry level item.

It's no good just putting up with anything that does not perform properly. If there's a problem with a part that breaks in normal use, I'm sure that you will not be alone. The manufacturers don't like getting bad reputations and will generally go for recalls or free parts replacements, which improves their image if managed correctly. Don't be slow in complaining to the suppliers.
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    I had a pair of RS20's, never again - worst wheel I've ever ridden as the spokes kept breaking. Not only that, at the time I had to wait 3 months!! for replacement spokes as Madison had no stock for a very long time.

Now I've hand built wheels, were spokes are easy to come by.
  • roadracedave
    roadracedave Posts: 107
    I have/had a pair of RS-10's and they were faultless, until one of the spokes snapped. I am not particularly heavy, but they had done 5-6000 miles of riding without going out of true or having any other faults.

They have been hung up in my shed for the last few months as getting replacement spokes is turning out to be a nightmare.

I would recommend them as a wheelset though, they are a great wheelset for the money. There aren't many sub £100 wheelsets that are on par with those, and I have heard that the RS-20's have had much less reliability issues, and only cost a few pound more.
  • pbt150
    pbt150 Posts: 316
    Percy Vera wrote:
    I had a pair of RS20's, never again - worst wheel I've ever ridden as the spokes kept breaking. Not only that, at the time I had to wait 3 months!! for replacement spokes as Madison had no stock for a very long time.

Now I've hand built wheels, were spokes are easy to come by.

Sounds like Shimano have a lot of variability with their wheels then - I've had a pair of RS20's for about a year now - never had any problems and they're still perfectly true despite being ridden on some of the worst roads in Oxfordshire all winter. I'm 77-80kg, so not exactly a racing snake.
  • plumpy
    plumpy Posts: 124
    It's a bit ridiculous to damn an entire product line on the basis of your bad experience with one set. I've got RS10's on my winter bike and they've completed three winter seasons running smooth and true, so my experience is that they have been excellent value for money.
  • benjboy
    benjboy Posts: 258
    I have RS20s and again have had spokes break on me. Took ages to get spokes for them would not buy again and am only 78kg and on good roads. Seems like a bad batch of wheels got out of the factory.
    Keep the chain tight all the way.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    + whatever. RS10's on my year round bike for 3 winters; pinch flatted a couple of times in potholes, but they remain as true as ever and I've never taken a spoke key to them.

Then again I've never broken a spoke in over 40 years of cycling, not even on the mtb.

I can imagine that being a low spoke count wheel, if one spoke goes out of tension or breaks, the rest will be subject to serious extra stresses.

They look nice though.
  • markybhoy67
    markybhoy67 Posts: 346
    After reading this thread, I am slightly concerned regarding my RS10's. (Although no problems so far with 200 miles on them)

I am 90 kg so I am of the heavier variety :lol:

If I have any problems with these wheels, what would be a bomb proof commuting wheelset for under £200?

I am also doing LEJOG in October so I would be looking for a reliable wheelset rather than a light wheelest.

Cheers

Mark
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    I,ve been using the cheaper end Shimano wheels for my work bike for years and never had a spoke failiure. However my biggest problem with the cheaper end wheels is that the freehub goes once a year and i end up buying a new set of wheels rather than buying a new freehub. I have 4 never ridden Shimano front wheels in the house, but considering the price i am not complaining.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Eyon
    Eyon Posts: 623
    i've done 400 miles on my £30 ebay special RS10s (which had 1000+ miles on them).

Im 86kg, ride some pretty bad roads sometimes and i've yet to even tweak them with my spoke key, they are very very good IMO, especially for £30 :D