What has happened to EBH?

2»

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,461
    Who has prospered at Sky?

The only rider I can think of who's taken a big step forward is Geraint Thomas. Everyone else has either regressed or stayed at the same level they were before they joined the team.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    andyp wrote:

The only rider I can think of who's taken a big step forward is Geraint Thomas. Everyone else has either regressed or stayed at the same level they were before they joined the team.

Henderson and Sutton? They seem a bit better to me.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andyp
    I thought about them but decided they'd stayed at the same level, i.e. the odd bunch sprint win when the top rank of sprinters are missing.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited May 2011
    andyp wrote:

Henderson, Sutton, Downing, Cummings, Swift, Hayman, Possoni.,
    Flecha, and Lofqvist have done as well as they ever have. Uran has started well, Dowsett too.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    ben swift
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • andyp
    RichN95 wrote:

Flecha, and Lofqvist have done as well as they ever have. Uran has started well, Dowsett too.

Swift and Cummings were winning the odd race at their previous teams. Hayman and Possoni have done nothing of note. Nor has Uran.

Flecha and Lovkvist are treading water.
  • RichN95.
    andyp wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Swift and Cummings were winning the odd race at their previous teams. Hayman and Possoni have done nothing of note. Nor has Uran.

Swift did win the odd race at Katusha. But now he's winning bigger ones and is the GB leader on the ProTour rankings. Natural progression, maybe, but he's thriving

Cummings did win a few races, but he didn't beat Contador on a mountain top finish. He didn't ride get to ride the Tour either.

Hayman's just had a very good classics season which has won him praise as a domestique and a podium at Het Volk

Flecha's 2010 classics season was the most successful of his career.

Possoni: In terms of CQ Ranking points, 2010 was comfortably his best season.

Lofqvist's 17th at the Tour was easily his best GT result ever.

Uran has already notched up 5th places at LBL and Catalunya, with bigger targets ahead.
  • andyp
    andyp wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Swift did win the odd race at Katusha. But now he's winning bigger ones and is the GB leader on the ProTour rankings thanks to coming 3rd at the Tour Down Under.

Cummings did win a few races, but he didn't beat Contador on a hill top finish in an early season training race.

Hayman's just had a very good classics season which has won him praise as a domestique and a podium at Het Volk, similar to what he was doing at Rabobank.

Flecha's 2010 classics season was the most successful of his career, but, as usual, it was a case of close but no cigar in the cobbled monuments.

Possoni: In terms of CQ Ranking points, 2010 was comfortably his best season, based on doing well at the world famous Brixia Tour.

Lofqvist's 17th at the Tour was easily his best GT result ever, just beating the best French rider and major star, John Gadret. Keen eyed tv viewers might have spotted him once or twice.

Uran has already notched up 5th places at LBL and Catalunya, although no-one really saw him in either race, with bigger targets ahead,

I've used both eyes to make a fairer assessment rather than your one eyed Sky fan boy view. :wink:
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    edited May 2011

20101st National Time Trial Champion
    1st Stage 1 TTT Tour of Qatar
    1st Stage 7 Tirreno–Adriatico
    1st Stage 7 Critérium du Dauphiné
    1st Dutch Food Valley Classic
    2nd Overall Tour of Oman
    1st Points Classification
    1st Best Young Rider
    1st Stage 3
    1st Stage 6 ITT
    2nd Vattenfal Cyclassics
    2nd Chrono des Nations
    3rd Overall, Eneco Tour
    20112nd Overall Tour of Oman

Not really interested in comparing one overrated rider against another, but considering EBH, prior to his arrival at Sky, was touted as something special, those results don't back up that appraisal. Having to add YRC and points shows it's a thin harvest.
    Decidedly meh, imo.
    He also seems injury prone, regardless of nasty crashes.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    andyp wrote:
    I've used both eyes to make a fairer assessment rather than your one eyed Sky fan boy view. :wink:

Being a fan, I'll happily admit to. But fan boy is a little too prejorative (they're genuinely one-eyed). I won't make assessments that I don't feel I can back up reasonably. (For example, I didn't say Gerrans, despite his good Amstel result)
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    He hasn't done terribly, but he hasn't perhaps lived up to the media hype.

He is still only 23, so give it at least another season before writing him off completely!!

At the end of the day, he does show that CQ rankings mean jack, EBH had a better season last year than Andy S? Seriously??
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • andyp
    RichN95 wrote:

Being a fan, I'll happily admit to. But fan boy is a little too prejorative (they're genuinely one-eyed). I won't make assessments that I don't feel I can back up reasonably. (For example, I didn't say Gerrans, despite his good Amstel result)

I was joking on the fan boy front. You seem too level headed to be tagged with that label.

As for Gerrans, 4th in Amstel is a good result, but that's the only result of note he's had at Sky isn't it? That's not much of a return on the investment.

I'm neither pro or anti Sky, but I do think given their budget the number and quality of wins they've achieved, especially this year so far, is way below expectations. Just 7 wins after 3 months of racing isn't that impressive.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328

20101st National Time Trial Champion
    1st Stage 1 TTT Tour of Qatar
    1st Stage 7 Tirreno–Adriatico
    1st Stage 7 Critérium du Dauphiné
    1st Dutch Food Valley Classic
    2nd Overall Tour of Oman
    1st Best Young Rider
    1st Stage 3
    1st Stage 6 ITT
    2nd Vattenfal Cyclassics
    2nd Chrono des Nations
    3rd Overall, Eneco Tour
    20112nd Overall Tour of Oman

Not really interested in comparing one overrated rider against another, but considering EBH, prior to his arrival at Sky, was touted as something special, those results don't back up that appraisal. Having to add YRC and points shows it's a thin harvest.
    Decidedly meh, imo.
    He also seems injury prone, regardless of nasty crashes.

But pedro wasnt making any claim to him being special he was basically saying his results were better than Wiggo's and they quite clearly are.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    Bayern-Rundfahrt 2011 Stage 1 Win
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Will EBH become the puncheur version of Greipel? :shock:
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    I remember being very impressed with the EBH of a couple of seasons ago. At the Giro, he was climbing very well with the GC contenders, right up until crunch time in the very high mountains. He was also a genuine threat in the longer TTs to the very best testers and all but the super fastmen in the sprints. Sadly, he is old news. Washed up. Finished.

Peter Sagan is the new Edvald Boassen Hagen!
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833

A bit like Cav is the paunchier version of Greipel :)
    (TM) Mario Cipollini
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    3rd today.

He's going downhill rapidly- look at the tail off in performance from yesterday! :)
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    He's been ace in the Tour so far, hats off to him, great win today.
  • kona_matt
    kona_matt Posts: 475
    I'm a complete noob when it comes to pro racing (first tour i've followed properly) but isn't 2 stage wins pretty good? :wink:
    FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
    FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
    FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    kona_matt wrote:
    I'm a complete noob when it comes to pro racing (first tour i've followed properly) but isn't 2 stage wins pretty good? :wink:

This thread is over 2 months old.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • kona_matt
    kona_matt Posts: 475
    kona_matt wrote:

This thread is over 2 months old.

fair shout, i'll go away now
    FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
    FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
    FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon
  • to be fair, it was Phreak that resurrected it
  • cornoyemade
    cornoyemade Posts: 180

Inspired ride by EBH! Two wins in this Tour. Enjoy him now, because next year he and the others at Sky will be wasted due to pulling a baby tram to the sprint.

Shouldn't Tony Martin be higher in GC this year? Probably, but Martin et. al. at HTC have been baby sitting during this Tour.

Can't wait for the sprint rivalry between Renshaw, Cavendishy, and Greipel next year.
  • LJAR
    LJAR Posts: 128
    eh? wont renshaw move to sky with cav?

That's what I would expect to happen. Those two are a finely tuned double act and I don't think Cav has delusions of being able to do it all alone. (though see TDF 2010 for evidence that he can)
  • RichN95.
    LJAR wrote:
    eh? wont renshaw move to sky with cav?

That's what I would expect to happen. Those two are a finely tuned double act and I don't think Cav has delusions of being able to do it all alone. (though see TDF 2010 for evidence that he can)

That all depends on HTC's future and whether they have a sponsor. And also how much that sponsor is paying. Renshaw and Eisel have another year on their contract but HTC may accept a 'transfer fee' from Sky to boost their funds.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408

Inspired ride by EBH! Two wins in this Tour. Enjoy him now, because next year he and the others at Sky will be wasted due to pulling a baby tram to the sprint.

Shouldn't Tony Martin be higher in GC this year? Probably, but Martin et. al. at HTC have been baby sitting during this Tour.

Can't wait for the sprint rivalry between Renshaw, Cavendishy, and Greipel next year.

Is this the baby that ensures that they all get a nice bonus at the end of the season when it comes to divvying up the winnings?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,204
    Just ignore, he has posted exactly the same post in at least one other thread. I think he is one of those mad stalker types who has had a knock back from someone in the past and then goes out to prove how much they hate them :wink:
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Damaged goods and over-rated.

Sky should get rid of. He's certainly not worth 5 Russell Downings!!
    Did you watch the sour? :D