Mountain Mayhem

divingmoose
divingmoose Posts: 540
edited June 2011 in XC and Enduro
Has anyone done this event before and is it suitable for a a group of novices for a challenge. How far is the one lap of the course and how tough is it?
Thanks Lee

Comments

• Oldskool_Paul
    Oldskool_Paul Posts: 127
    Doing my 3rd one this year.

Go for it, it's an addictive experience. Everyone is so friendly too.

The track is normally around 9 miles and I'll be honest it's tough but pace yourself, eat and drink plenty and you'll survive.

Good luck with it. I guarantee after you've done it once you'll plan to do it again.
    Paul B

'11 Nukeproof Mega
    '11 Genesis Aether 20
  • divingmoose
    Thanks for the info mate,

Do you do it at an advanced level or is it a bit of fun. Whats it like during the night do you have decent light setup.
  • Oldskool_Paul
    The rules say you need 2 lights, one main light and one back up. Check the buying section on here for info on lights. I borrowed mine off a mate the last 2 years. The night laps are fun, I always whack a couple of glo-sticks in between my spokes for a laugh.

We don't take it too seriously, as long as your whole team has the same intentions then you'll be fine.

My girlfriend is joining us this year for the first time. She's literally only just started mountain biking so is as novice as you can get. We'll be in s team of 5 so should be well covered.

Best preparation you can do is ride your bike ad much as you can leading up to the event.

Make sure you also take plenty of spare riding kit, ample tools, spare bits such as brake pads etc, loads of food/drink and most of all a good attitude :o)
    Paul B

'11 Nukeproof Mega
    '11 Genesis Aether 20
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    And pray it's dry. Pat Adams organises a great event, but the 'all weather' qualities of his courses are highly dubious!
  • divingmoose
    Paul,

Do they do the event around the same time every year and when do they announce the next years event normally. Think we will look next year now. Do you just rock up and pitch a tent.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Always the weekend nearest the summer solstice. Entry forms come out at midnight on 28th February, entries sell out within 2-3 days.

Then on the day (actually Thursday if you want), you rock up and pitch your tent.
  • divingmoose
    jesus i assume its a case of printing them off at midnight and posting them straight away recorded delivery to get a place.

Lee
  • Oldskool_Paul
    Yeah pretty much although. I have the luxury of living close to Pat so always hand deliver the following day. My mate tried to be the first to hand his form in but got pipped to the post lol

If you're free for this years event, why not pop over and spectate? Won't cost you anything except fuel, food n ale and you'll get to see what it's all about. It's free to camp.
    Paul B

'11 Nukeproof Mega
    '11 Genesis Aether 20
  • divingmoose
    I think i may come down paul and have a look. Is there a beer tent on site or should we bring our own lol. I assume if we printed it off at midnight and posted recorded that morning we should get a place.
    Lee
  • Oldskool_Paul
    Lol no beer tent I'm afraid, just energy drinks!

Yeah doing it that way you should be fine. The silo places fill up quickest.

Sometimes you can get a ride on the day as some folks have team members drop out. Last year we had 2 teams and a member dropped out of each, one of which was a week before the event. Managed to find a couple of extra people VIA Singletracks website.
    Paul B

'11 Nukeproof Mega
    '11 Genesis Aether 20
  • hoppyst
    hoppyst Posts: 9
    Need moral support-entered mayhem2011 in moment of madness for charity-any one else doing this event for 1st time?
  • alisdairh
    alisdairh Posts: 44
    I did it for the first time last year in a mixed team. It was also my first (and only) mountain bike race.
    This year I'm doing it again in a mens team, so one less team member.
    I can't wait. Absolutely loved it last year