Rear Brake Rubbing

Dean Rider
Dean Rider Posts: 3
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I wonder if someone can help me, I'm very much a beginner. When I spin the rear wheel there seems to be a rubbing sound coming from the back brakes and it stops within a few seconds. However, if I loosen the back wheel from the frame and spin, it runs free with no rubbing... could someone explain why this might be?

I've looked at the brake pads, and they worn unevenly, near the top quite thin (not much left) and at the bottom don't seem to have been touched. Is something not quite setup right or is that to be expected?

Thanks for you help in advance

Comments

• I feel that if you're a beginner in the mechanical aspects of biking (especially brakes) then take a trip to your LBS (local bike shop). If their any good, they can quickly see if it just needs adjusting (most likely from your description), or if something has failed. I'm sure they'll be happy to let you watch and ask questions as they are working on your bike - its always good to learn simple mechanics from the pro's anyway.

Brakes are not mega complicated, but you CAN get it wrong...

regards,
    Mac
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Dean Rider wrote:
    I wonder if someone can help me, I'm very much a beginner. When I spin the rear wheel there seems to be a rubbing sound coming from the back brakes and it stops within a few seconds. However, if I loosen the back wheel from the frame and spin, it runs free with no rubbing... could someone explain why this might be?

I've looked at the brake pads, and they worn unevenly, near the top quite thin (not much left) and at the bottom don't seem to have been touched. Is something not quite setup right or is that to be expected?

Thanks for you help in advance

you need to have the caliper aligned correctly.

have a read of the info on Parktools about brakes.

what to do does depend on what brakes you have.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Dean Rider
    Dean Rider Posts: 3
    Thanks guys, that extremely helpful.