Tubeless rookie needs some advice

lister11
lister11 Posts: 77
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm currently debating the swap to tubeless.

I want to put a 2.35 larsen TT dual ply on the rear and a high roller 2.35 42a dual ply on the front for the mega this year and don't really want to add to their 2kg+ combined weight with a couple 300g tubes!

I'm running the old superstar components enduro wheelset (the one that was £99 for a time). Ii used them last year and they were great. The voltage rims are a touch heavy though.

The internal size of the SSC Voltage rims is 21mm, so would i need just this -

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=18703 ?

the external is 29mm though according to this -

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=247

but the Joes link states an external size too?

Just not sure if the combo will work tubeless as i know very little about it.

Also - using the above tyes, any other makups that'd be better? Silkworm/LUST?

Anyone?

Comments

• sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    i have used those rim strips before and they are fine, im sure they are the ones you wll need for the inner width of the rim you have, you might ind they hang outside of your rim a bit but this isnt a big deal, it could be trimmed if you wanted but i left mine as they were.

as for tyres, i couldnt comment on those specific tyres but i would always recommend using a tyre designed for use in a tubeless fashion, i personally would never convert a tyre again which is designed for use with tubes, i have found any i have tried with in the past to be un reliable,

that said, loads and loads of folk have had plenty of success with converting a regular tyre.
  • lister11
    Thanks,

The trouble is the size of tyres i want to run don't come in UST!

Thats why i though that dual ply, tubeless might work.
  • u05harrisb
    u05harrisb Posts: 531
    i think using regular tyres works dependant apon what your doing like sheepsteeth says it doesnt work for him, may of the XC guys i ride with all run standard tyres tubless but then again i dont thing my race bike has ever hit a rock garden in its life but sheeps has near every ride im sure :lol: so yeh, depends apon what your after, what sizes are you after? the tyres mentioned at pretty heavy duty and so is the mega so im assuming you would want some varly "normal" sizes wouldnt you?
  • sheepsteeth
    lister11 wrote:
    Thanks,

The trouble is the size of tyres i want to run don't come in UST!

Thats why i though that dual ply, tubeless might work.

i would imagine the dual ply casing wil be thick enough that it definaely holds air.

the main thing with a tyre desinged for use without a tube is that they have a carefully made and shaped bead which locks into the rim more reliably and securely, regular tyres arent made with this in mind as the bead is made secure by the tube.

any non suitable tyre i have tried has had issues with the bead popping off or burping air when cornering or hitting stuff.

that said, my experiencs seem to be pretty unique, there are loads fo folk for whom regular tyres have been converted with no trouble.
  • u05harrisb
    Sheep, just for curiousitys sake, what sorts of pressures are you running? im only a small guy (more of a boy really :lol: weighing in a 58ish Kg) and i run about 35-40ish PSI most of the time, somtimes a tad less.
  • sheepsteeth
    http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Mountain/High-Roller.aspx

this shows there to be dual ply high rollers in 2.35 and ust flavour, i dont know if they are easy to get hold of but it appears they do exist

(click on specifications)
  • sheepsteeth
    u05harrisb wrote:
    Sheep, just for curiousitys sake, what sorts of pressures are you running? im only a small guy (more of a boy really :lol: weighing in a 58ish Kg) and i run about 35-40ish PSI most of the time, somtimes a tad less.

i weigh more than double your weight and i run the same pressures.

i could run higher to help prevent the bead related issues but then the tyres are too hard and ont behave properly.

i can run the right pressures (for me) with no problems on a proper tyre.
  • u05harrisb
    aww so you at 35-40ish is probs the same as me at 25-30ish or mabye even less? for me doing XC stuff on a hardtail (iknow dare i say it! :twisted: ) anything more than 40psi will rattle me to pieces! im gonna be upgrading to "proper" tubless when i upgrade my wheels and i think im just gonna continue using a set of maxxis crossmark exception series tyres, should be fine-one hopes anyway haha :roll:
  • lister11
    http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Mountain/High-Roller.aspx

this shows there to be dual ply high rollers in 2.35 and ust flavour, i dont know if they are easy to get hold of but it appears they do exist

(click on specifications)

Yeah i checked that out.Whan comparing weight rtc i came to the conclusion that 'dual' in this instance possibly refers to a mix of rubber compounds? I may have just made this up though?
  • sheepsteeth
    aah,you might be right.