1x10 questions

grotty
grotty Posts: 151
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm acquiring parts for a build, which I'm planning to do 1x10. I've a dual crankset which I'm going to put a Renthal (or e13) single ring on. I also have a 10 speed SLX rear shifter, and plan on purchasing a 11-36 SLX rear cassette. Now, I've read snippets about using a shortcage Shimano 105 rear mech on DH bikes with shorter ratio cassettes - would this suit my planned set up? Is it ok with MTB cassette and the SLX shifter?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    no. and your second question is unclear. shifter or mech?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    No, the pull ratio is different on 10 speed MTB components from Shimano to their road components.Plus the biggest cog 105 mechs are designed to work is 27/28 tooth.
  • grotty
    Thanks for the replies - excuse my ignorance but how are they used on DH bikes, if the MTB/road shifters/mechs are incompatible?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can get flat barred road pull shifters and the DH bikes use close ratio cassettes, besides few run 10 speed, some are trimmed to 5 or 6 speed.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    You can get flat barred road pull shifters and the DH bikes use close ratio cassettes, besides few run 10 speed, some are trimmed to 5 or 6 speed.

Simon

but the mech will not work with the cassette he wants to use.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Indeed, no dispute, not sure I said it would!

He asked specific questions which I answered!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • grotty
    Ok I see, thanks again for your help. Shame shimano don't make true shortcage MTB mechs.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    grotty wrote:
    Thanks for the replies - excuse my ignorance but how are they used on DH bikes, if the MTB/road shifters/mechs are incompatible?

DH bikes running Shimano parts run 9 speed drivetrains as Saint hasn't gone to 10 speed yet
    grotty wrote:
    Ok I see, thanks again for your help. Shame shimano don't make true shortcage MTB mechs.

The Saint mech is short caged and will work with an 11-34t cassette and possibly run a 10 speed flat bar road bike shifter. These shifters aren't cheap though and only come in a pair
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    slx is available in short cage....
    I like bikes and stuff
  • nicklouse
    joshtp wrote:

is it?

not listed on Shimanos webby.

the XT 10spd Short cage is for 35T range so would still be 10 more than needed.

Sram list 3 cage lengths for their 10spd kit but no cage lengths other than for triple, for double, and for DH. the DH one could be a proper shortcage mech, but not specs available.
  • big2000dave
    big2000dave Posts: 60
    An XTR shadow rear mech with a saint cage works a treat.
    Orange 5 SE
    Santa Cruz Nomad
    Orange 5 Diva
    Boardman Team Carbon
    Bianchi She
  • Koiler
    Koiler Posts: 513
    joshtp wrote:

the 'short' cage SLX is more like a medium length cage.

im pretty sure saint is the only true short cage (mtb wise, at least) and as said above, it wont work with the OPs choice of cassette