squeaky back wheel

grant43
grant43 Posts: 170
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
hi a few weeks ago my back wheel siezed up on a ride i took it to my local bike shop it was a loose nut in the freehub so got it fixed and was told it would be ok for 6-12 months when it would be ready for a service but now about an hour into the ride i get a nasty squeaky noise coming from the back wheel ,when i wash it i always spray the bike with water penetrating lube any idea what the problem is :(
keep smiling no matter how much it hurts,commencal ramones 1 loving it lol

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    grant43 wrote:
    hi a few weeks ago my back wheel siezed up on a ride i took it to my local bike shop it was a loose nut in the freehub so got it fixed and was told it would be ok for 6-12 months when it would be ready for a service but now about an hour into the ride i get a nasty squeaky noise coming from the back wheel ,when i wash it i always spray the bike with water penetrating lube any idea what the problem is :(

That's your problem right there probably. Assume you mean WD 40 or similar.
    They are too thin to work as decent lubes and will strip out/dilute grease etc, which is what hubs need.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • grant43
    yes i spray it with that gt85 teflon lube thanks m8
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If it's cone and cup hub just take it apart, stuff in grease and put it back together. Only takes a few minutes.
    Although trails are pretty dry and dusty at the moment, which adds to the squeaks.
    GT85 is fine for mech pivots, lever pivots etc, but avoid the bearings (and brakes obviously).
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • grant43
    yes i live in rossendale so been hammering it up lee and cragg quarry ill take it back to shop let them grease it up at least i know it will be right thanks for the advice
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Does it have a cone shaped rubber seal on the non-sprocket side of the hub? Tapers from the nut to the body of the hub itself? If these get very dry/ dusty they can make a small and very annoying squeaking noise. Often new bikes are like this, but any decent bike shop will sort it. A *tiny* half second squirt of GT85 on the join between the seal and the hub body stops it. Other than that, its a hub strip down and stop using penetrating oil on bearings.....
    Also, its very difficult for a shop to be sure anything bearing-related will "last" for a certain length of time, it depends on use, conditions and luck as much as anything else!
  • grant43
    sorted now new bearings and a good greasing be back up lee quarry this weekend :D