trouble planning bike holidays

thislife101
thislife101 Posts: 3
edited May 2011 in MTB general
Hi,

Thinking of starting a travel website for bikers because i think it is hard to find, compare and book places to stay and guides etc in different areas. I prefer using small, friendly local places but not always easy to find or arrange. What does anyone else think?

Do you have that problem or not? What websites do you use to plan bike holidays? Do you usually book things before you arrive or not bother? What would be useful to help you plan trips?

Your comments much appreciated!

Many Thanks

Alex

Comments

• djames77
    djames77 Posts: 164
    think it would be good idea. I think you need set dates though, and a car travelling with the group as back up / repairs etc as well as carrying luggage. Also, give options for single rooms not just dorms.
  • thanks djames,

was intending it to be some sort of comparison site of other small bike holiday companies so you can find options like that, rather than start my own. Would that be useful?

cheers
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    djames77 wrote:
    think it would be good idea. I think you need set dates though, and a car travelling with the group as back up / repairs etc as well as carrying luggage. Also, give options for single rooms not just dorms.

LOL completely missed the point.

I could imagine it would be a useful site to have. You just have to get out there and make sure you get every possible choice down, and maybe find ways to get discounts with them to intice people to use you.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I think something that covers properly bike friendly accomodation could be very helpful... Frinstance in Peebles every B&B says it's "bike friendly" but with some of them that just means they'll not tell you to **** off if you turn up with a bike... With others it means they've got a fully equipped bike store/workshop, a stack of mountain biking DVDs, a drying room, and they might come riding with you or give you a cheeky uplift. So it's hard to know from regular touristy websites what you're going to get.
    Uncompromising extremist